Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Somerset !

Buffalo Bill

Hi everyone, I am a complete novice to telescopes but have been gazing at the stars for decades and have a basic familiarity with the night sky.

I live in Somerset on the outskirts of town and get some reasonably clear skies ( NOT LATELY !!) without much sodium light pollution.

I have recently fulfilled my childhood dream of owning an astronomical telescope and after many months of research, including using the excellent reviews on SGL, I took the plunge and bought a brand new Celestron C8-SGT XLT GOTO. I have spent many hours ploughing through the manual and playing around with it in my living room to get to know it, but have only gone outside with it briefly on a couple of occassions due the meteorological conditions conspiring against me since my purchase. I seem to have the same effect on the weather if I don sunglasses and shorts, so apologies to all for messing up the skies !!

I am thinking of upgrading with a Baader Steeltrack focuser, a 2" diagonal(any suggestions welcome) and a Baader Hyperion Zoom MK.III eyepiece and was wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good combination with a C8, any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance BB.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a great setup there but a shame the weather has gotten you off to an unpredictable start. I don't have any experience regarding your desired focuser but I have the the Mk III zoom and would definitely recommend it. Although it is true to say that individual eyepieces are better, the Hyperion zoom isn't far off in performance from their single eyepieces (...available field of view being the only exception) and when you consider the cost, convenience and the fact that you can view between the set stops, it is certainly a piece of kit worth having in your box for sure. You might want to post these questions over on the equipment section if you want to receive more replies. :smiley:

Wishing you clearer skies soon and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Many thanks to you all for your warm welcome to the community,I`m just getting to know how things work round here so apologies if I post in the wrong places to start with.

In answer to your querry JamesF I live on the Wellington side of Taunton.

Archived