Hi, I'm new too :)

wouter

Hello all,

This is my first post on SGL and I thought "why not give a short introduction first" :)

Well, I'm 27 now. Space and the night sky have always intrigued me since I was a young lad.

I remember borrowing books about astronomy when I was 6 and later I got my first 12x50 binos on a tripod from Santa :)

I was simply blown away when I first saw 3 moons of Jupiter and got a glimpse of the Andromeda galaxy.

So, I started going to the local observatory with mom and dad and grandpa. I remember seeing the rings of Saturn through their giant Kutter scope as well as I remember the ice cones on my nose during those freezing winter nights.

So, when I was 8 I got my first 11cm newton from santa, the tube was really short, so easy for me to carry it in and out.

But after a while I got quite disappointed with it as I thought I could see clearer through my binos.

I think that scope just had poor optics.

Anyway, I had a great time gazing the night sky when I was young.

After going to junior high I had a break from astro stuff and was mostly trying to be cool to stick to the group. Going skateboarding that kind of stuff :p

Anyway I got back to astronomy when I changed my major (in Belgium we can change majors during junior- and high school grades) to science, which involved an awful load of math, physics, chemistry and electronics.

When I was 16 I did a part time job and bought a new scope with the money, which I'm still using now. A nice skywatcher 150mm newtonian reflector.

For a while I wanted to become a theoretical physicist at Uni, wanted to take part in super string and M theory research, but finally I got ensnared by the insanely difficult math. So, no more of that.

Anyway now, a few years later I want to get back to my original hobby.

Mostly I want to start with astrophotography to which I am a complete noob at the moment.

I just bought a Celestron C9.25 sgt XLT on a CG5 mount (my first try with go to and tracking functions)

I think a lot of interesting challanges are ahead of me and I hope to learn more here from you guys, so be prepared to get lots of questions from my side :)

But at the same time I hope to contribute to others with what I already know (which is not too much I gather lol)

Cheers to you all and clear skies!

Wouter

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wouter and welcome to SGL, If you are determined to go down the AP route, then perhaps a copy of Steve Richards book, "Making Every Photon Count", would no doubt be of benefit as the dark art can hold a lot of pitfalls, especially if you are just starting out. The book is available through FLO, see top of page. You already have a nice scope in the 9.25 and there has been many splendid images taken with this telescope :)

John.

Hi Wouter, a good starting point is if you can get hold of a cheap webcam, say a phillips spc900nc and adaptor, and download a free capture program like Registax, with the installed software you can image planets and the moon, Jupiter is a good target at the moment.

Good luck and have a great time learning.

Dave

Archived