Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

assasincz

Baader Hyperion Zoom Mk.III

OK, as soon as I posted this I plucked up the courage and twisted something and the whole top bit came off, I can see where it would go now, gaaah.

It's not obvious! Neither is swapping between the 2" and 1.25" nosepieces ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Awesome review. Certainly got me thinking........ And saving!

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk

It's a great bit of kit, even more so when coupled with the zoom barlow. My only slight gripe is that for someone like myself who's just starting out some sort of instructions, or guide to what the numerous extra bits in the box are, would certainly have helped.

The combined zoom and barlow deal, if you can still find it, is well worth it.

The barlow just threads into other eyepieces as well, so is very versatile. It's of very good optical quality...I am not a big fan of barlows normally but this one does what it's supposed to without degrading the image.

The only other consideration is your focal length of the scope: for short fl scopes the barlow is perfect, as it will give you access to much higher powers than without or with better eye relief than for instance a 4mm plossl or ortho. 

If you scope has a long fl however, like an SCT, Mak or long refractor, you might just not need the barlow to get the high mags you need...for example in my F15 refractor an 8.5mm ep gives x225 which is a high power, and barlowing it to double that would rarely if ever be useable..

HTH

Dave

Thanks for this great review assasincz.

I bought mine some eight months ago and am very happy with it.

One additional drawback I find though, is that when assembled to my GSO RC8, focus

needs a tube extension which contributes mechanical instabilities to the OTA and

may cause some pretty high sensitivity to winds (in open field).

Other than this, it it a lovely component.

Romi

After a lot of agonizing over how to upgrade my stock eyepieces for Skymax 127 I opted for Hyperion Zoom. Clouds are bound to clear in the next day or two. Looks nice and hefty.

Bought it with Teleskop Austria, their price is really alright, 215 euros...

And some first impressions...am not sure that the declared FOV is the real one...or I might give up on twisting up the eyecup up...

Also, I remember seeing a thread on cloudy nights about FOV being less than advertised, and it is correct. Compared it with stock EPs and it is apparent that 24mm starts at around 40 deg, and not at 50 deg as promoted.

And some first impressions...am not sure that the declared FOV is the real one...or I might give up on twisting up the eyecup up...

As you have seen, the Hyperion Zoom has an AFoV at the 24mm end of around 42 degrees but you do get nearly 70 degrees at 8mm. Personally I treated it as a 20mm - 8mm zoom when I had one.

As you have seen, the Hyperion Zoom has an AFoV at the 24mm end of around 42 degrees but you do get nearly 70 degrees at 8mm. Personally I treated it as a 20mm - 8mm zoom when I had one.

Spot on. Checked with my other EPs and that is it.

You guys are going to make my wife cry, every night when we have had rain I have a read here and spend more money. Being a novice at having a big Newtonian 200pds after keeping myself in check with a small cheap refractor in a month I have bought a new scope, mount and eyepeices. I am now looking at this as an option as the guy I bought my mount off praised this optic no end and his collection of scopes and astrographs made me seek out better eps etc.

Tonight as the sky deposits more rain this thread is reinforcing my want of decent eps and a zoom would be lovely as it will save faffing around in the dark churchyard which has become our astrodome. When the local constabulary don't annoy us asking why we're there, and I respond astronomy homework sir, as my 14yr old son is viewing for his course work project.

• Like 2

As a temporary measure until we can stump up the dosh for one of theses I have bought a cheap 1.25 zoom as we have so much in our wish list that unless I can find a reasonably cheap second hand oneit will have to wait a few months. However having played with one on a night with others looking at the lovely dark skies this weekend its still on my list of really desperate wants. Why oh why do I live in Sussex where the bonfire season is 3months long tonights been ruined by the light of yet another bonfire societies festivities yesterday I had to go 20miles in search of a clean sky.

Geoff

• Like 1

Finally had a proper night to put the zoom to work. Here are some thoughts.

First, it is great for star alignment on the GoTo, as it allows zeroing and then defocusing for the maximum precision. This is true even though by using it i sacrifice about 10 deg off my plossl and about 16 deg off my ES 24mm piece.

Very convenient for watching Moon and planets and trying to figure out the proper magnification as the seeing deteriorates or improves during the course of the night.

Unlike ES 24mm, it is a bit clunky getting it past my Lacerta diaelectric diagonal, i always have to give it some extra push.

This looks promising.. what i like about the zoom approach is that it is easier to frame a pic doing AP. And as i only have two good eyepiecese so far ( doing mosty AP so far), i guess i'll bite the bullet and spend the cash...

OK... did it. I will post a few comparison pictures when they arrive.

Hi everyone ... I find this Review awesome assasincz  .

I just bought a SkyWatcher 127mm Maksutov Telescope  and I'm aiming to purchase the  Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III, 8-24mm eyepiece .

I would like to know if its worth buying the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III, 8-24mm eyepiece or individual Baader Hyperion Eyepieces ?

Is the End result in IMAGE QUALITY the same in between the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III, 8-24mm eyepiece and individual Baader Hyperion Eyepieces ?

Does the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III, 8-24mm eyepiece works great with Maksutov Cassegrain Telescopes ?

Please , I would really appreciate to have your opinions and share your experiences from those who are using or used it on a Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope .

Thank You .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jadcx
      Baader Hyperion Eyepieces

5mm - £70
      10mm - £70
      24mm - £70
      Or all three for £190
      I bought these over on ABS a while back, used them a couple of times, and have never touched them again, so selling for future upgrade points.
      They seem like perfectly OK eyepieces, but the Baader and TV zooms are perfectly good for my portable viewing, and take up less space and weight.
      Price includes UK postage.  Payment by bank transfer (preferred) or PayPal (buyer pays fees).
    • By rjc404
      Does anyone who has one of these zoom eyepieces know if there is a t-thread hidden under the twist-up rubber eye-cups like there are on some other zooms?
      I don't have a zoom in my set yet and don't want to break the bank. I just aim to use it mainly for visual e.g. being lazy with one 'no faff' eyepiece or when I'm being more dedicated, scoping out the seeing at different magnifications before changing to a dedicated eyepiece.
      I'd only use it for occasional photography but would rather buy one with a T-thread.
      For reference here are the different branded versions I can find:
      OVL Hyperflex version: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html
      Skywatcher Hyperflex version: https://www.365astronomy.com/SkyWatcher-HyperFlex-7E-7.2-21.5mm-High-Performance-Zoom-Eyepiece.html

I had read in the previous thread that the Lunt version of this zoom is also generic but the only one I can find looks quite different and is twice as expensive and has a different field of view so not sure about that?
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-accessories/lunt-125-zoom-eyepiece-72mm-215mm.html
      Thanks for any feedback (or any other recommendations for circa £100 zoom lens that might have a hidden T-thread)!!!

• By Stefann
      Hi everyone, about a month ago i got my first telescope. Wasn't sure what to get but i wanted something portable and easy to setup and use. After some internet "research" i decided to go for a refractor on a manual alt/az mount. The telescope was on a 50% sale so i decided to go for it , the Meade infinity 90.

The package:
      The scope came in one big box, everything was inside. Included was the optical tube, the mount, 3 eyepieces (6.3mm, 9mm and 26mm), a 2x barlow lens, 90 degree diagonal, red dot finder, an eyepiece holder for the mount and a few manuals. The optical tube:
      The tube has a 90mm (3.5in) aperture and 600mm focal length. It looks and feels as a quality instrument, it has a small dew shield and the focuser is smooth when you move it back and forward. As expected the lens looks to be coated. It has a dovetail bar on it with 3 holes for screws. The mount:
      Light but stable, made of aluminium. It has 3 extendable legs, and 2 slow motion cables (alt/az). One screw to mount the tube on on top (adjustable back and forward). The eyepieces and barlow:
      All 3 are modified achromat eyepieces, the lenses are made of glass and are OK for the beginner, but i would suggest upgrading if you can. The barlow is bad i even think that the optics are plastic (not sure), it is usable if you don't have other options but this should be the first upgrade in my opinion. Observing: First light:
      The telescope arrived in the morning so the first thing i did after a quick setup was to adjust the red dot finder. I looked at some mountains about 20km away, the view was nice and very detailed using all eyepieces. Combining the 6.3mm with the barlow got me a bit blurry view, but the barlow in combination with the other eyepieces was ok. Night came and it was a moonless and clear night (only light pollution from the city i live in). I saw orion right infront of me, "marked" it with the red dot finder where i thought M42 should be and looked through the 26mm eyepiece. It was a bit blurry but after adjusting the focus i could see some nice pinpoint stars and also something fuzzy, i realized it was the orion nebula. After letting my eyes adjust to the view for a few minutes i started seeing 2 faint "wings" on both sides and in the center were 4 very tiny stars, i didn't expect to see that on my first night. I followed my target for about 15 minutes using the slow motion controls , it was easy to do. Also tried the 9mm eyepiece and with it the 4 stars were more easily seen but the faint clouds got fainter so i moved back to the 26mm. Next target was venus, i tried all eyepieces + with combination with the barlow. It looked like a very bright half moon without any details. When using the barlow the view was ok but purple glow was showing around the planet, without the barlow the purple wasn't noticeable. I also looked at the star Sirius which looked nice, bright and much bigger then any other star i could see that night. After Venus went down i decided it was enough for day one. Moon:
      I expected it to look good, but not this good. I was observing the moon for a couple of nights until it got full. I could see a lot of details at the terminator , with low and high magnification. When the moon was full it was very very bright and it looked best with the smallest magnification using the 26mm eyepiece. Jupiter and Saturn:
      I got 2 opportunities to look at these 2, the first time i think the "seeing" was bad. I could only see Jupiters 4 moons and the planet was a bright disc without any details at any magnification i tried. Saturn also wasn't very good, i could see the rings but they were blurry and "dancing" around. But the next time i had the chance to look at these planets the conditions were much better, first target was again Jupiter. With the 26mm eyepiece i could see a white disc with 4 moons.With the 9mm i could see the moons again but now the disc had very faint 2 bands without any color. The view was best with the 6.3mm eyepiece, the 2 bands were clearly visible and on the upper belt on the right side there was a small dark dot, i am not sure if it was anything . Next target was Saturn, event with the 26mm eyepiece i could see that it has rings, i switched to the 6.3mm right away and wow there it was, Saturn and its rings clearly visible, i even think i could spot the cassini devision, but it might have been my eyes playing tricks. I tried using the barlow on both targets but it was making the image blurry, but at this point i had purchased a higher quality barlow and the views were very nice with it , but the  max magnification i could use that night was 133x, anything higher and the image was getting wobbly (probably that was due to the atmosphere that night). After that some clouds came in and it was time to get back to bed (got up just to see the planets in 4am). Conclusion:
      I think i got what i wanted, a small and very portable telescope for some basic amateur observing. I do recommend this telescope to anyone as a first telescope or even to an experienced astronomer who is looking for something light, portable and being able to set it up and start observing in 2 minutes. Also i would recommend you replace all of the eyepieces and the barlow. I got me a few plossl eyepieces and a nice barlow, it was worth it.
      Feel free to ask me anything regarding this telescope i will be more than happy to answer.
      Sorry for any spelling mistakes this review probably contains

Also i am attaching a few images i took directly off the eyepiece using my smartphone (handheld).

The Telescope

The Moon:

The Moon:

Venus:

Saturn:

Jupiter:

• By Roger Corbett
      Hi all,
      I'm becoming a bit of a Moon and Planets visual observer and in consequence, I'm considering an Amici Diagonal. I have read that at high magnification your view can be obscured. That said, I have read that it is of little consequence when using a Mak and a decent diagonal like this one - https://tinyurl.com/y75z4n5v from Baader Planetarium. I'm really keen to make my East East and my West West. Any advice or experience would be welcome

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.