SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New eyepiece for my dobsonian

Joaquim Q

New ep for my dob!!

Last week i received my first Widefield eyepiece: Baader Hyperion 13mm+ 28mm finetuning ring.
The eyepiece is really huge, is a beast!! The weight is 400 gr.
Yesterday i was used it in the moon... The best moon sight ever!!!
The ep is 92.3x in my dobson, and the moon fills all the fov!! Epic image!! Ultra crisp and bright image!!. No turbulences, long time in the fov.
With my Celestron Omni Barlow, the ep goes to 184.6x, with incredible definition. The craters and mountain Chains, the shadows and Every thing is breathtaking. Really impressed with the sights.
Is curious, but in few astronomy forums some people says that hyperion eyepieces are horrible in f6 scopes...
I observed the moon, Júpiter, Saturn, and few more things and the eyepiece works perfect, almost for me...
Tonight we have another observation session, to try the 28mm finetuning ring, who modifies the focal distance from 13mm to 9mm...

IMG_20220905_120738.jpg

IMG_20220905_120511.jpg

IMG_20220905_120447.jpg

• Like 2

To do a quick star test of the eyepiece, simply pick out a mag 1 or 2 star, bring it to best focus on axis, and move it from the center to the edge, observing any changes to the star's appearance.  Is it still a pinpoint everywhere in the field?  Does it change shape or spread out into a rainbow near the edge?  Does refocusing the star at the edge make it look sharper out there?  It's when you take the time to look for these sorts of changes that you can start to discern good eyepieces from terrific eyepieces.

• Like 1

If you like the Hyperion, you'd love a Morpheus! Another 8° FOV, even sharper stars and no edge of field aberrations, whatever the focal length.

When I first started out with an f/5 scope, I was warned off the Hyperions too. Interesting to see it works for you at f/6.

3 hours ago, Joaquim Q said:

some people says that hyperion eyepieces are horrible in f6 scopes

It has often been said that they are better in scopes slower than F/6. What counts as "horrible" is quite subjective.

I think FLO used to have a statement on its Hyperion page concerning suitability in fast scopes, but I can't see it now.

The 13mm Hyperion at f/5.75 (my scope with coma corrector) suffered from minor astigmatism at the edge of the field (easily ignored) and Edge of Field Brightening (EOFB).

This latter issue only shows up on very dark fields, as when looking at a faint galaxy or nebula, and not, really, on any brighter object.

Star images and focus were quite good on axis to about half way out in the field (center 35°) and fairly good out to about 75% (center 50°) and only showed some noticeable aberrations outside that.

With a coma corrector, my scope has a coma free field larger than the 13mm Hyperion's field of view.

At f/6, without corrector, coma at the edge will bloat the stars to about 4x their diffraction sizes at the edge of the field in the 13mm.

How large that will be to the eye, visually, is dependent on the magnification the 13mm provides.

I would put it this way: the Hyperions are not as bad as many people make them out to be.

The 21mm and 17mm are the best in the series, while the 24mm, 5mm, and 3.5mm are not even good at f/10.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 15:23, Louis D said:

To do a quick star test of the eyepiece, simply pick out a mag 1 or 2 star, bring it to best focus on axis, and move it from the center to the edge, observing any changes to the star's appearance.  Is it still a pinpoint everywhere in the field?  Does it change shape or spread out into a rainbow near the edge?  Does refocusing the star at the edge make it look sharper out there?  It's when you take the time to look for these sorts of changes that you can start to discern good eyepieces from terrific eyepieces.

Thanx, i will do that star test, totally agree. Sometimes the emotion of the first light makes to forget that inicial star test... These days, with the crescent moon, my suburban skies does not show too mucho stars (bortle 7)... Sorry for my english. Greetings from Barcelona, Spain. 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 16:45, Zermelo said:

It has often been said that they are better in scopes slower than F/6. What counts as "horrible" is quite subjective.

I think FLO used to have a statement on its Hyperion page concerning suitability in fast scopes, but I can't see it now.

I apologize if my expression is out of place, and if the topic is that if Hyperions are suitable in fast scopes, i agree, no problem at all. 

Thanx for your comment. Greetings from Barcelona, Spain. 

On 05/09/2022 at 16:04, apaulo said:

i would, and have gone for  the morpheus e/ps, so good in fact, that greedy retailers keep putting the price of them up.

I think you will find that it’s the manufacturers that are pushing the pricing up....

i dont fully agree, i purchased 1 morph, 2 weeks later i went to order another 1. i know it was the same stock, and same retailer, i  was told they went up £30. b/s it was the same stock. just greed. i actually just bought a 4.5 mm last week  new stock just in £217.  the first case was maybe 7 months ago.  first 1 i bought was about £170. it definately isnt all price hikes by baader. 

OK.  Baader has had sales from time to time.  £170 was a sale price.

£217 is a lot cheaper than in the US, where they are ~£261.

Price increases have been almost totally, industry-wide, due to increases in:

--labor costs (along the entire distribution chain)

--raw materials costs and shortages thereof

--shipping costs

--brokerage charges 

--devanning charges (breaking apart mixed containers)

--storage charges

And in the US, a 25% tariff on Chinese-made goods.

In business, pricing can be based on FIFO, LIFO, or average

If FIFO, first-in/first-out, significant price cost increases can bankrupt a dealer because prices are based on old costs.

If average, getting new stock may result in a necessary price increase as the average cost goes up.

If LIFO, last-in/first-out, the dealer makes additional profit on the old stock.  If the product is short in supply, that may be the only pricing regimen that keeps the business in the black.

In my own business, I have a relatively fixed overhead.  If sales go down due to product shortages, I could find myself in the red fairly quickly.

And many popular products are only intermittently available because the suppliers cannot get stock.

No rational retailer will simply raise prices for no reason because it could make him/her less competitive, and the lost sale factor would be large as competitors take away all the sales.

So you can bet that an increase in price is based on increased costs somewhere along the chain of supply.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, prices are pretty much fixed by the importers, and all merchants sell for the same price.

That price is only a floor price--we are free to sell at a higher price.  Yeah, for sure, no retailer is that stupid.

So the floor price IS the price.  If UK merchants have a similar minimum they have to honor, that could be a reason for a price increase.

But a minimal increase of £30 is really minor for a fairly expensive Chinese eyepiece.

• Like 1