Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Them nights be cold.

FarSide

I just want to wish my fellow brethren all the best as the nights seem to be becoming colder and colder. Lets hope that the cold nights also bring good nights for us too. I've been wearing 4 layers and i'm still shivering to the bones! How do you guys get through the night?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After my last two times out, I'm gonna need warmer socks/footwear - thinking of snow boots. Rest of me is ok if I pile on the fleeces and remember to put on a hat (I like those russian trapper things with ear flaps :smiley: - noone said its a fashion contest... .)

Ski wear is always good and plenty of layers. I've heard some people say that it can help if you have a bit of old carpet or mat you can throw down to insulate your feet from cold ground, too, though it's hardly that cold around here yet. Probably because of all the cloud keeping the warmth in.

James

T-shirt, long-sleeved thermal top, thick hoody, body warmer, army coat with quilt layer, thermal socks, thermal bottoms, jogging bottoms, fingerless gloves works for me. Proven to minus 10!

My first year was so cold. Wish I'd got the gear sooner, it's even better than a red dot finder! :-)

I've been out for a couple of hours tonight, yep, blumming cold! I think the idea of a bit of old carpet or doormat would make a big difference against cold feet. I had on a shirt, jumper, thick fleece, my thermal hunting snood and a woolly on top of that! I was still chilly though. More hot pies needed I think. ;-)

I would look at some of the gear anglers wear,the reason for my thinking is that generally fishing is sport that does not involve much moving around unlike skiing which tends to be a tad more physical

Ive got a thick wool lined one piece thermal suit that i use for those freezing nights fishing for cod in the winter months, to be honest it is to hot even in the coldest weather,fishing gear takes some beating when trying to stay warm, id highly recommend it.

my other half calls me the flip flop man. for some bizare reason i 'll go to the effort of putting on tracky bottoms under jeans ,vest ,t shirt ,jumper and coat then wonder out in the garden with me house flip flops ! she has a point :tongue:

i really am going to get three things for this winter though . fingerless gloves/ trapper hat/ thermal bottoms. with those i shall survive....oh and new flip flops . :eek:

Ski wear is always good and plenty of layers. I've heard some people say that it can help if you have a bit of old carpet or mat you can throw down to insulate your feet from cold ground, too, though it's hardly that cold around here yet. Probably because of all the cloud keeping the warmth in.

James

Only problem is your skies keep getting stuck in your tripod :grin:

Well, I can usually keep my upper body and legs warm in my leather jacket (as longs as I have my wool Fjällräven sweater) and an extra layer under my Lundhags pants. If it gets really cold I have my heavy duty Fjällräven jacket and snowboard pants.

However, I am in dire need of new boots :p My Caterpilars are not holding up when I'm standing around a lot.

Humph.

Long johns, cargo pants on bottom. Long-sleeved vest, wool shirt, two pullovers and a Berghouse fleece-lined jacket. Furry hat with ear flaps.

Oh, yes and some (Fake) fur lined boots I bought sometime in '82.

London doesn't get very cold. Doesn't get very dark either.

From golf and sports outlets you can buy hand warmers. Just rub them 20 mins before going out to get them going and they last for hours. You can pop them in a loose pair of gloves and can even pop them in your shoes if not moving about to much. I find if you can keep the extremities warm the rest follows.

Fur lined boots and a hefty parka were the best astro purchases I've made recently. Plus thermals and many thin layers on top.

I also have some boiled sweets or some tracker bar sort of things in my pocket - you need to make sure you're still producing heat.

Long time members at my local astronomy group have these for when the temp drops.

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/outdoor-and-country-workwear/dickies-waterproofs/WP15000/0/

They are similar to the fishing suits, they swear by the Dickies one though, I purchased one recently, ready for my first proper winter season.

You may be bale to get it a bit cheaper, seem to be around £55.

If you have a local farm shop (not he fruit and veg type), they may stock them. So that way you can try them on for size.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/dickies-waterproof-padded-coveralls-navy if you live in the south west.

Also the Dickies shop at the Clarks vilage outlet in Street should have them in stock.

http://www.clarksvillage.co.uk/

HTH,

Grahame.

I have a Dickies work coat and find that its not very windproof/warm and can feel the cold getting through when its a bit breezey.

I did wear my thermal fishing coat last time i was out ,part of a two piece suit, it did get cold but this kept me nice and warm,so now its getting colder i will wear the trousers.

The jacket did keep the wind out as well which made a lot of difference to keeping warm.So i would suggest getting summat that is thermal,windproof,with a nice hood on.

A good pair of thermal socks and thermally lined boots also help,and has said stand of summat other than the cold floor,even a thick piece of cardboard will help.

But the item i wouldn't do without is a nice warm hat of some sort.I wear a beanie type.

Archived