Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bucks

daneel

I've been interested in astronomy as long as I can remember. But I never got round to buying a decent telescope until last night. MikeP sold me his 10" Skywatcher reflector, which is truly a beast. By standing it on end I got a glimpse of stars at the zenith through the low power eyepiece - magical.

So now I've got to get a decent mount. Mike recommended the EQ6 pro, and I'm tempted. I'm looking forward to learning from others in the Lounge and meeting some of you at the star parties. I never knew there were so many other people into astronomy!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome

I'm also a relative newcomer to the game, one word of caution, hard as it is, don't be tempted to rush out and buy, buy, buy.

More often than not, our first purchases are impulsive and until you've really deciuded on what area you want to get into, save your dosh and ask questions first!

That's what we're here for :lol:

Oh and im round the corner in Herts.

Welcome to SGL Daneel.

I would agree with Mike advice... With a scope that size, you really cannot scrimp on a mount.

A HEQ5 would be the absolute minimum - but an EQ6 or EQ6Pro would be advisable.

I'm sure we all look in advising you on how to spend your money :lol: We are good at that!!!

Ant

Welcome to SGL Daneel, ask away - no such thing as a stupid question.

And... to prove myself wrong, here's a stupid question... Daneel - is that your real name or are you an early prototype of a humanoid robot? (from Isaac Asimov...) :lol:

James

Maccers - should have known that someone on this forum would have read Asimov. My real name is Ramin. Daneel is just a nom de web. But of course it was Giskard who was the prototype, not Daneel, although I often feel like a prototype.

Thanks for the word of caution cygnusx1 - I'd like to get into astrophotography, which is why I bought the 10". I use Linux exclusively at home, but don't know of CCD hardware that's Linux compatible. So thought I'd get a second hand Canon 10D from a colleague at work for about 200 quid. Which is the best forum to ask about Linux compatible imaging hardware?

Archived