Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stupidest thing you have done to date

Sirius Bizness

I just gave my self a heart attack when thinking I was saving time and not locking the latches down on my EP case I came back to it and pulled it up only to launch all my EPs across the kitchen floor! The shock! Some bruises now on my favourite EPs but after tentatively trying each one out they seem fine.

What is the stupidest thing you have done whist observing?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great minds think alike, Sirius!

I forgot to lock the latches on my own case last night, went to pick it up and baam EPs and diagonal spewed over the concrete floor. Lucky that the LX guys at Celestron imagined there'd be folk like me in existence, so their EPs are bound in quite thick rubber as part of their design.

Other stupid things I've done...thought I'd be able to carry the OTA and EQ-5 mount in one go through a door, was doing alright until I heard a crunch as the OTA wammed on the door frame's top casing.....Out observing on the roof top - changing EPs. One hand fitting the new EP into the diagonal, the other hand slotting the old EP into the mounts tray. Old EP goes into one of those big holes, drops out, crashes and roles down into gutter. Last one, thinking I could do late night stargazing and early morning solar stuff and then a day's work....Mmmm, that one don't work to well either :rolleyes2:

Back in my film days, I once did a 4.5 hr star trail shot and found at the end, that the lens cap was on. Not as bad though as my other effort. Same camera and lens and intention. Started the exposure around 2 am and went inside for a cuppa. Thought I would watch a little teev while the camera chugged away. Nodded off and when I woke up, sun had cleared the horizon an hour earlier.

most serious was starting smoking again.

Have done many stupid things.......some of them while stargazing. Turned around in the dark and found myself marching through the flower bed my wife had worked hard to put together, went down in one of those falls that seem to go on forever ( a Riverdance fall, as I like to call them, similar to when that footballer pushed that referee that took about 7 yards to go down). Nearly as bad as leaving the relatively new 20x80 binocs outside in a dead calm night to make a coffee only to hear a crash and go outside to find a strong wind and the tripod having dumped the binocs into another flower bed, with hard things inside....

I wont go on...

Forgot the power cable for my mount having driven to a dark site leaving me with an expensive push-to mount!

Locked my keys in the boot of my car, together with all my astro kit whilst away on a camping holiday. It was the only clear night of the holiday, magnificent skies, no scope :angry:

Stu

I've done the same with the eyepieces as regards forgetting to do up the latches although fortunately I observe on the lawn so no damage done they just got a little bit muddy on that occassion. The most recent one was when I was packing the gear away after getting clouded out early & thought i was being clever lifting the NEQ6 with scope etc still fitted to it & putting it in the shed. The right angled finder just caught the top of the door frame & it fell on a slab!! Fortunately it's ok with just a couple of minor scuffs.

was going to mention dustcaps but seems pointless now. once i hung a tarp over one of those swinging chair things to block the neighbours kitchen light (its always a kitchen light). it worked so well that when my wife called me to the phone i marched back to the house and didn't see the swinging chair thing..... guess the rest

First time out with my then new TMB 115 Apo Refractor and I could not bring any eyepiece to focus. Completely freaking out that there was something wrong with my new £4,000 telescope I actually emailed Thomas Back (RIP) the designer of the optics about 2 minutes before I realised that the drawtube could slide out another inch or two and comfortably bring everything to focus. Not my finest hour! :tongue:

I forgot, another favourite of mine is leaving the clear cap on the 1.25" end of my 13mm ethos. I have the 2" adaptor on it and always panic when everything looks blurry until it dawns on me......again!

Stu

Proposing nearly 2 years ago and not being able to afford any new kit since! ;) Next year the wedding will hopefully be paid off!

Also, I left my makeshift compass lens cap on the camera when putting it into the focuser, leading to a loud clang and a chip taken out of the primary mirror :embarassed:

Driven 120 miles to a dark sky site for a spot of imaging and left camera battery (still charging) behind.

not quite as far but I once drove about 10 miles with a scope and pedestal to meet a farmer to see if some of his land would be good for a darker sky than at home. unfortunately in the rush to get out I forgot one of the pedestal feet.......how does it go again .....one, two....yep, that's enough.

Left the small dust caps on my bins last night, removed the large ones then wondered why is suddenly gone blind.

Oh. And nearly broke a brand new sterling plossl by trying to unscrew the screw up eyecup. Turns out it doesn't unscrew as It's a locked design and I put a fair bit of force into it!

Archived