SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak Star Party 2013

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which reminds me that although I did say thanks to Lee and Nigel for stepping in to help with the collimation practical - I should repeat and acknowledge this here too - thanks guys it made a big difference to the success of that talk :smiley:

I would have done it as well but with my condition ( idiopathic intercranial hypertension) i sometimes cannot get words out i know the word i want to say just cannot say it for  the life of me and i get embarrassed.

I would have done it as well but with my condition ( idiopathic intercranial hypertension) i sometimes cannot get words out i know the word i want to say just cannot say it for  the life of me and i get embarrassed.

no worries at all mate. volunteers are just that and people have lots of different reasons to either volunteer or not :smiley:  I have made a muppet of myself so many times in my life that I don't worry any more. if I help one maybe two people to understand something then I am happy.

no worries at all mate. volunteers are just that and people have lots of different reasons to either volunteer or not :smiley:  I have made a muppet of myself so many times in my life that I don't worry any more. if I help one maybe two people to understand something then I am happy.

An old gentleman asked me about 2 inch and 1.25 eyepieces and i was telling about different FOV and i couldn't say globular clusters for a minute stood there looking at each other i had to apologise and explain about my missing words, He and his family are emigrating to New Zealand.

I totally agree with the comment by Nick above about getting a group of volunteers together to agree to take a small group of maybe 5 newbies for 'happy hour' ('helpy hour' ?) or whatever to give a mini tour of a few objects and perhaps culminating in them each finding a final object by themselves to show the others. This sort of skill is so much more easily absorbed with the above method than by a talk I reckon.

The same could apply to collimation etc. Let's hope we get the weather next time to make it a better trip in terms of observing.

There's an incredible amount of work goes into organising this sort of event and I suspect activities takes up a fair bit of that time. If some of the more experienced attendees can share this load by doing something like the above then it might be much fairer all round.

Great idea, i would be more than willing to show a few people a small amount of objects (i dont know that many)

I'm hoping for a clear sky at some point this week to attempt again the alignment and search for a few objects, I'm determined I will get out whenever I can now and hope I manage to teach myself a few things ready for next year :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Anybody got a list on objects you can see/look for from moderately light polluted skies.

Try some of these to start

Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

Double Cluster

Hercules Cluster (M13)

M92, another globular

Ring Nebula (M57)

Coathanger asterism

Dumbbell Nebula (M27)

Bodes nebula M81, and also M82

Mizar/Alcor, Alberio and Almach are all nice easy double stars, you could also try the Double Double in Lyra

if you want to get up early/stay up late or wait until later in the year...

Seven Sisters (M45)

Orion Nebula (M42)

Hope that gives you a few easy ones to start with.

Cheers

Stu

Try some of these to start

Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

Double Cluster

Hercules Cluster (M13)

M92, another globular

Ring Nebula (M57)

Coathanger asterism

Dumbbell Nebula (M27)

Bodes nebula M81, and also M82

Mizar/Alcor, Alberio and Almach are all nice easy double stars, you could also try the Double Double in Lyra

if you want to get up early/stay up late or wait until later in the year...

Seven Sisters (M45)

Orion Nebula (M42)

Hope that gives you a few easy ones to start with.

Cheers

Stu

Thank you Stu you will know better anyway living where you do  as soon as i have clear skies i will be out ticking these off thanks.

Good stuff. These are all easily do-able from my back garden five miles or so from Heathrow. The exception at the moment is probably M81/82 which despite being an easy object, is buried in the glow low down at the moment in the evening for me. Once it's higher up it is no problem.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Stu

Good stuff. These are all easily do-able from my back garden five miles or so from Heathrow. The exception at the moment is probably M81/82 which despite being an easy object, is buried in the glow low down at the moment in the evening for me. Once it's higher up it is no problem.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Stu

Will do i have already seen some of them like the M57,M15,M45,M42

I felt terrible for the school group and other youngsters there. It was just bad luck and we must be due a good one.

Paul and several others mentioned the idea of those who can taking a small group and doing a scope tour of the season's targets and constellations . I think this is the way forward, it will inspire the young and add interest to the event.

Sadly other events do get cancelled, I would point at the York Cycle Rally this year. Sadly TV programmes also go , the S@N being mooted.

We cannot allow this to happen and must support and enthuse others.

This was my 6th star party and the only one which we packed up early as there was little point in staying. It was once again a delight to be there hopefully next time under

clear skies,

Nick.

I'd be more than willing next year to take a small group of people through finding things although my knowledge is quite limited but expanding.

Great to listen to Shane and thanks to Estwing (Calvin) for all the help with the tent and hot drinks (lighter) as it was essential this weekend.

Looking forward to next year fingers crossed on the weather front.

Damian

The weather was Rubbish but the people make an event.....well done to the organisers for their efforts inspite of the weather. Thanks to Shane for his contribution and to the UKAI lads for the entertainment, prizes and for being very approachable ;)

Archived