Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

KELLING IMAGES

CELESCOPE

Mike there's nowt humble about either of those images, both are very respectable images, and you should take full credit for them.

The fact that Roger and I offerred a little help along the way, is neither here nor there. Your setup, captured them, you were in the 'driving seat' , and you sat there patiently ensuring that subs continued to downloaded ok.

I should add, that that EQ6 of yours really did 'track' extremely well.

So, don't be shy, sit back and enjoy the well deserved credit that YOUR images are going to attract.

Oh yes, and it was a real pleasure to meet you, and share your imaging.

Dave

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can be justly proud of those two images Dave. I am sure the help you got from both Rog, and Dave will of great help in the production of future work. Coupled with that your own determination, I have no doubt your name will feature alongside the other craftsmen you mentioned in your post. I can't think of a better place to get guidance than this forum. Better than any books I reckon.

Congrats on what you did at Kelling.

Ron. ;)

Wow!!! If I had known you were going to knock these out, I would've got 'someone' to come and check YOUR dew shield!!!

And you make a very important point - we really do try and encourage everyone to post their images, no matter what their experience or equipment. Equipment is secondary to enthusiasm for having a go and persevering to get the best you can from your set up.

They are great pictures Mike and you should be justly proud of them!!

MikeP, excellent first images, I'd have been more than proud of them if they had been my first lot!! If you want a real treat, wind down the black level in 'levels' in your processing software on your Veil image (thus making the image darker) - it becomes a competition winner!

They look great Mike. The veil looks as if it has some tremendous detail, as has been said, just need to go into Photoshop levels and slide the left hand histogram pointer to the right until it comes up to the point where the histogram rises.

One of the great things about the forum is seeing the progress that we all make. We've talked about it a lot in the past and home novices never feel intimidated about posting their images

yes thats one thing i forgot to say Mike , always have to just tweak the image first before posting , try not to darken to much though afterall the sky is,nt inky black, there are lots of nebulosity about , but its how you like it , thats the most important thing

Rog

Loads of brilliant images coming through guys! Well done all of you, must've been great fun!

Wish I could have been there with you to learn more from the masters first hand!

Helen

PS glad I'm not in MartinB and Rog's shoes for choosing the best of these :shock:

Well rub me down with a copy of the Sporting Life. It's amazing what you can do with a couple of sliders - hope I haven't over-egged it - please tell me if I have. Thanks Martin and Steve (Steppenwolf).

Thanks for all the positive feedback. You are all very kind.

Mike

Improved Veil

1348_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Steve, on my crappy work monitor the 1st version is better. On my decent monitor at home it's closer call and very subjective. In the first the background nebulosity is more prominent and slightly smoother. The second is clearly sharper but somehow I like the slightly softer feel of the 1st one.

Thanks for that Ian.

You probably noticed I was pretty disappointed with Friday night's efforts, because I could not see how I was going to polar align when I came home, but Daz saved the day by telling me why my web cam wasn't picking up the dimmer stars.

I've emailed Andy at Astronomiser for the extra bits I need to connect it to my laptop. As soon as they come, I'll try drift aligning again and once that's mastered, I can try imaging again.

Mike

Not overly happy with the way that my images are processing up.

Ones that looked really good on the camera are just not playing ball. I cannot get DSS to work (or at least how I think it should work).

Here is a 5 minute shot on a driven mount. 1600 ISO, single shot, no dark frame (big mistake - not that I can work out what to do with the damn things anyway), standard Canon lens at 15mm, F/4.

Summer triangle, Deneb top centre, Vega on the right and Altair at the bottom. North American Nebula to the left of Deneb.

Re-sized for SGL

1375_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ant

Archived