NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Kent

AnotherBen

Hello All.

My daughter and I have a new Celestron Astromaster 130, a 5" Newtonian reflector with an equatorial mount, and we both love it. It was a joint birthday present: my 40th and her 5th! Ever since her class did a project on space at the beginning of her reception year at primary school, she has been obsessed with planets both real and imagined. Summer is not the ideal time as it is not dark until well after her bed time, but we have seen craters on the Moon together in the early evening a few weeks ago, and my wife and I even made out the rings of Saturn.

Perhaps the timing of the space topic at school, and my interest in science, helped spark my daughter's interest. This was in the autumn last year, when Venus, Mars and Jupiter were all easily visible in the early evening sky. Looking forward to some clear evenings later in the year!

Ben

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome - my 2 kids love using the scope too. If your daughter is like mine at that age (a VERY early riser) you might be able to use the scope early mornings too. We had our first Saturn hunt one morning at 4am when she couldn't sleep anymore. :grin:

Ben,

I normally say a big SGL weclome from Bulgaria but I am in England. That being the case its a big welcome from Hull. I was born in Chatham Kent but I have never been back in 42 years, I am sure I would no longer know the plsce.

SGL is a great site enjoy it,

Alan.

Hi Ben and family welcome to SGL, I believe every encouragement should be given to our children, if they show an interest, one never knows where it could lead in the realms of space and science, they are our future :)

John.

Hi Ben and family,my daughter is the same,she looked through my scope 4years and has been hooked ever since ,she did a few projects for school ,she shot soe money video with a cheap web cam,also she used my dslr to get some great moon stuff,her last project was mars,we got some great pics from some stacked videos was great she likes the planets more than any thing else

Pat

Archived