Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the best software to use with the EQDIR?

Belcher

As the title says, I have bought an EQDIR adaptor to use with my HEQ5 mount. Got it working ok with the mount (but nothing else as its raining yet again) and triggered the software by firing up Alignmaster. So I know the cabling and config is sound. However, I am not sure what the best software is to use. I was using Nebulosity 3 with the synscan, but can't find an option in nebulosity to work it with the ascom software.

Whats the general recommendation for software to use in conjunction with the EQDIR for imaging?

Cheers

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thumbs up for Cartes du Ciel - takes a little bit of setting up but well worth the effort, there's loads of good stuff in there.

I use Nebulosity V2 and it has no operational involvement with the mount, only the camera. Maybe version 3 has some new facilities relating directly to the mount, otherwise it has no bearing on EQDir?

One of the easiest programmes is Starry Night but it's not cheap. Of the free programmes I would go for CdC which isn't the prettiest graphics but easier to control the mount than using the prettier programme Stellarium. Both are good but CdC would get my vite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Yep - CdC. It's worth taking the time to get to know how the software works. It's a little fiddly at times and not as friendly as say, Stellarium - but I tend to use the find/search feature a lot to go to whatever I'm looking for and it's lightweight and works brilliantly with EQMOD via ASCOM.

Thanks for the replies people. I have downloaded and installed CdC. It looks pretty feature rich. Not tried hooking it up to the mount yet though. That's going to have to wait for decent clear skies (if we ever get any again).

Thanks for the replies people. I have downloaded and installed CdC. It looks pretty feature rich. Not tried hooking it up to the mount yet though. That's going to have to wait for decent clear skies (if we ever get any again).

I am likewise a newbie with this stuff - HEQ5 and EQMod. Its actually quite simple and CdC acts as the main interface once it is all set up and alignment done. You can have a play indoors and do a dummy alignment and you'll see that when you click in CdC the scope will follow. I would get onto Youtube search on "EQmod"and look into Chris' videos he has done. Certainly put me on the right track.

I use stellarium and find it quite straight forward to use. Never used CdC but it doesn't sound as beginner friendly as Stellarium.

Would agree with you there. Stellarium is very user friendly and visually appealing, and can go beyond the basics.

CdC is hard core, full functionality and don't expect an easy ride. If you stick with it though, it's rather splendid.

Would agree with you there. Stellarium is very user friendly and visually appealing, and can go beyond the basics.

CdC is hard core, full functionality and don't expect an easy ride. If you stick with it though, it's rather splendid.

Most people find Stellarium to be too resource hungry to run on notebooks / laptops in the field while capturing. I use it on the main computers for planning but use CdC on the lappys. Agreed if you're used to Stellarium (as I was) going to CdC is a bit different but it doesn't take that long to figure it out. Play with it during the daytime to get used to the basics and you can turn off a lot of the interface to keep it simple & just start with the basics.

Ditto all the remarks above about Cdc but I found it very easy to use from the start and Patrick (Cdc`s creator) is on the ball if any bugs arise. Also excellent for variable stars as it has its own variable star section. Highly recommended :grin:

Steve

CdC doesn't show me the pics of how the Messier objects or NGCs are supposed to look like. Therefore I'm not always entirely sure whether I found what I was looking for...

Have you got the catalogues loaded.. don't the objects show up when you select them?

Archived