Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New member from Bedfordshire

aurochs

Well, I always post in these welcome threads even though it's not really my thing, as I am actually kind of a loner... but I looked around the site yesterday while looking for 'reviews' of First Light Optics (and found mostly nothing but praise) since I ordered my first real telescope yesterday (I chose the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P) and decided to sign up.

Like most people who have found their way here, I expect, I have been completely fascinated with and intrigued by everything related to space, astronomy, you name it, since I can remember. I had a 'department store' telescope a couple of years ago, it was basically a toy. But, to be fair, the Moon did look pretty cool through it, and I could just make out about 2 different belts of Jupiter. Well I didn't have the income back then to afford a nice scope but now that I do I have bought one, and I'm just waiting for it to be dispatched and delivered now.

So I hope to be an active member of the community and now I need to head on over to the Equipment boards to inquire about what accessories I might want to get. I am already planning on a 2x Barlow and the Baader neodyium filter.

P.S. Collimating the telescope sounds complicated and it's very daunting, yet I believe it sounds worse than it really is (since I don't have the scope yet, I bet it well be easier when I have seen all the parts in person), is there a really good online guide? I am planning on going by the one I found on Sky & Telescope's website at the moment.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL, great scope, you chose wisely, Had my 200p for 7 months now and I am still blown away by its power at resolving deep sky objects. A decent Barlow lens will be a wise investment too, it was for me. Also the Baader Neo filter is a great piece of kit to own, I bought one on the advice of an SGL member and find it great for tackling light pollution and also works well on Jupiter and Mars too so its kind of a 3 in one filter for me. There is lots of info on here regarding collimation. I found Youtube very helpful with this too. Clear skies and welcome to the Dob Squad.

Thanks all for the warm welcome, and I'm glad I seem to have picked a good telescope. Jason. I'll check out that link, thanks.

Yeah I saw that 'customers also bought these items' on FLO so I looked at them. My old scope also did have a 2x barlow with it as well, and the filter seemed like it'd be quite useful, but I'll wait until I have the scope and try it out for one or two nights first before I order them.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would also recommend Astro Baby's collimation guide which is very thorough and in addition you may like to watch

his video to start with as this will help you visually familiarise yourself with the components and the general flow of what needs to be done. Further down the line you might like to take a look at
his recommended video (part one of six) as an advanced guide in order for you to have a complete and comprehensive overview of collimation. It isn't difficult and you are correct when you say that it sounds worse than what it actually is in practice but a couple of regular attempts and it will seem like second nature. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Thanks a lot. I'm starting to wish I'd ordered the laser collimator now, I ordered the 'laser-less' Cheshire one. The Astro Baby guide does seem good and the youtube video guide is excellent.

Archived