Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well That Was Worth Getting Up For!

Tim

Just got back in from watching the Venus transit.

I headed out to a local high spot in the city, and by coincidence a fellow moderator was there too. The clouds just cleared in time to see the whole disc of Venus against the sun, and then allowed viewing as it left the scene.

I found it hard to get up after watching the online webcast most of the night, but this was definitely one of the highlights of my astronomy experience so far!

Hopefully Viv will have some photos to share too :)

Roll on 2117!!!!

Cheers

Tim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad it was worth while Tim. Haven't got the correct filter for my scope, but in any case I would have been seriously miffed if I had as the weather is lousy outside. Like you say. roll on the next one, eh;-)??

I went to a park near mine with a clear northeastern horizon. Things weren't looking good at 5 with thick cloud to the northeast, but it thinned over time and I caught glimpses of the Sun through the scope, and then at about 5:40 they'd cleared enough for me to get a sharp image and see the notch in the edge of the Sun as Venus was between third and fourth contacts, along with a few sunspots and wisps of cloud over the face of the Sun.

Very glad I saw it, with the clouds and the location uncertainty (and my thinking the Sun would appear lower than it was!) I was far from optimistic.

Just got back....

I got up at 3:00am to get to my remote site, about 1770 feet above sea level Stunning views, hot chocolate and home made cookies, but alas, no sun. :(

The reason why I went was because it was 40% clear - all on the zenith!!!!

Hey ho, that's the way it goes with astronomy. You certainly develop fortitude with this hobby!

Just got back from our local hight spot The Great Orme 415ft above sea level with super views and all was dull. Weather started to pick up the sun was there but was being shy. Was too late for the transit. Never mind going to put myself in cryo for another 105 years. I think 134 is to old to be lugging a scope up a mountain to catch the next transit.

Me and my daughter got up at 4 and walked to our chosen vantage point, but alas no luck just cloud. But we had to try, just in case. But that's science for you sometimes you just can't beat your circumstances, but you still try. If we didn't try and the sky was clear I would have regretted the lost opportunity. You can always sleep in another time and there is so much for us to still discover together.

Me and my daughter got up at 4 and walked to our chosen vantage point, but alas no luck just cloud. But we had to try, just in case. But that's science for you sometimes you just can't beat your circumstances, but you still try. If we didn't try and the sky was clear I would have regretted the lost opportunity. You can always sleep in another time and there is so much for us to still discover together.

That's exactly what I think. We very nearly didn't get up but we made it to the site. :)

There's so much more than the Transit - I've been able to explain how extrasolar planets can be discovered by viewing transits of other stars.

I got my two eldest up at 3:20 with 'no promises, up to you'. Fair play to 'em, they both leapt out of bed, and came with Dad to a little spot just outside Sedgley, to watch some clouds !

actually, it was typical british weather - it cleared up beautifully - except for where the sun was - and the sun did make an appearence: about 10 minutes AFTER the show was over !

I think they were glad to've made the trip, but they're both completely comatose now !

(I took along most of my kit - but only used the scope and solar filter, and some solar film specs from the 99 eclipse.)

That was nearly our experience too - kids out of bed at 3.15, lots of looking at clouds then - for a few brief seconds - it cleared enough for us all to get a good view. My oldest daughter TOLD me we weren't going to miss it - and I am very glad for her sake that we did make the effort. They are lying on the sofa now eating egg sarnies and recovering - with huge grins at having actually done it.

Cool pic Adrian - almost exactly what we saw :)

Much the same experience. Got to my site at 4 to have clear skies directly above, rain blowing through, and banks of clouds to the NE. There were very occasional glimmers of brighter cloud but fleeting between showers. Carldr txt me at 0550 to ask how it was going and then the sun poked above some clouds, by which point my preparations had gone south due to the rain. I held the filter in front of my Nikon and just clicked away so may have something, or may not!

Well done on the image above.

A group of about 10 of us from Worcester AS hauled our bottoms out of bed at stupid o'clock to congregate on the Malvern Hills. After nearly an hour of staring at cloud our persistance (or was it blind stupidity?) paid off as we got a break in the clouds for about 5 or 6 minutes and were treated to great views of the transit a few minutes before 3rd contact. The clouds then rolled in again. The clouds cleared completely about 20 minutes after the transit was over and it's still sunny now (7.27am).

Well worth the effort. And now back to bed. zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Alas no luck with the clouds spoiling the view in Leicester. Plenty of onlookers at Beacon Hill park, but the sun wasn't visible until about 30 mins after the transit had finished. Mockingly the moon was a lovely sight, low on the opposite side of the sky.

5607c886-fe71-4874.jpg

A group of us went to The Mount above Guildford. Things did not look good then with about 20 mins to go we caught a couple of breaks in the clouds and were rewarded with some nice views. It made that 4am start worthwhile!

I picked a great spot on the A1101 on the Lincolnshire / Cambridgeshire boarder. All I saw were dark grey clouds...oh and a barn owl and a Glebe. (not too astonomical)

Maybe my gandchildren will have better luck with the next show - my son is only 4 so he has plenty of time to start planning! :cheesy:

actually, it was typical british weather - it cleared up beautifully - except for where the sun was - and the sun did make an appearence: about 10 minutes AFTER the show was over !

I think they were glad to've made the trip, but they're both completely comatose now !

(I took along most of my kit - but only used the scope and solar filter, and some solar film specs from the 99 eclipse.)

Pretty much my experience! Up at 3:30am to set up just down the A34 with the group from Abingdon Astronomical Society. Clearish skies overhead but thick cloud to the North East.

A slice of the sun did appear and I managed to catch a 5 second glimpse of venus - so at least I saw it - and I was thankful that the scope was reasonably well aligned to allow me to take advantage of even that.

6:05am and it looked a lovely morning. Whole disc clearly visible so I spent some time looking at sun spots.

There were an encouragingly large number of folk there and (I thought) a great atmosphere despite the disappointment... Just such a shame that the cloud didn't break 20 minutes earlier but as someone there said "that's astronomy in the UK!"

3 of us set up at 10pm at our local lake with perfect views of the horizon. We had hoped for an all-night session and the transit at dawn but the clouds had other ideas. At least we enjoyed the BBQ at 2am :grin:

Paul

Up at 2.10 to make it to Seasalter on North Kent coast. Solid cloud (plus some rain for good measure) until 25 minutes after it ended!

Still, there are a couple of transits of Mercury to come in 2016 and 2019!!

Archived