Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Well That Was Worth Getting Up For!

Tim

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had clouds all over the sky all through the transit, so no chance of even glimpsing it, which was a shame. Annoyingly though, when I got up this morning it was bright sunshine. Grr!

So let's just hope that it's a bit better for the 2117 eclipse, shall we!

Pretty much my experience! Up at 3:30am to set up just down the A34 with the group from Abingdon Astronomical Society. Clearish skies overhead but thick cloud to the North East.

A slice of the sun did appear and I managed to catch a 5 second glimpse of venus - so at least I saw it - and I was thankful that the scope was reasonably well aligned to allow me to take advantage of even that.

6:05am and it looked a lovely morning. Whole disc clearly visible so I spent some time looking at sun spots.

There were an encouragingly large number of folk there and (I thought) a great atmosphere despite the disappointment... Just such a shame that the cloud didn't break 20 minutes earlier but as someone there said "that's astronomy in the UK!"

Where abouts did you set up?

Was up at 2am, went up to the field opposite the Rollright Stones in Chippy for 3. A bunch of CNAAGers came, and a chap from somewhere else, and us two from Witney. And Witney TV.

Pretty shabby weather, clouds blowing about all easterly!! But there was an occasional moment where we got a break. Managed to get some images though, not great but still.

I'm not working today but the OH went straight off to work for 7 ish :( ouch

Glad that at least some of you caught some of the show.

My whole family came out with me, even the little ones, and we all saw it happening. Got some funny looks from motorists, and a herd of cows too, but I have to say, it made my day :)

Archived