Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

101 moments of total frustration

stevetynant

Decidig to go out observing. Spend an hour setting up balancing fine tuning and switch it all on to find the power tank is dead:(.

Another one

Same as above. But as its half term every kid and their dog is out lighting the mountains on fire and there's mounds of smoke in the sky :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or just wrap a dew strip or two around her :D

Try a hip flask of brandy, tell them to take a toddy every time they get cold until they pass out and what you thought was the powered mount whining stops.

If they have a large alcohol capacity take a large stick too...

Been out for hours in the cold, decide to kick it the head, go indoors. Next thing you know it's all over this forum that a chuffin great meteor has screamed overhead the full length of the country - must have missed it by minutes - AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Been out for hours in the cold, decide to kick it the head, go indoors. Next thing you know it's all over this forum that a chuffin great meteor has screamed overhead the full length of the country - must have missed it by minutes - AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!

That's exactly what we did!

Could be tricky around midnight, out on Dartmoor, when the supermarkets either absent or closed, and you have none handy.

You need to find the people in the 'favorite dark spot' above and ask to borrow their clothes as they aren't using them. Tie knots in the trouser legs and fill them up with rocks or ponies.

* Beautiful clear night and Mars looking promising, and Jupiter too. First good night in forever. Drag gear outside only to realise the finder-scope is totally out of alignment. Faff round targeting neighbours TV aerial to try and calibrate it, only for the clouds to roll in.

* Observing from a nice flat, solid concrete surface. Star diagonal feels loose and wobbly. Gently twist to tighten it up. Wrong way. Oooops....

Getting blamed for have a scope that interferes with the next door neighbours TV.

Getting to doped up on meds during the day that always seems to coincide with a clear night.

Temperamental IT that works fine during the day but when night comes the cameras don't work, the USB-Serial converter driver fails, the wifi drops. You get the idea.

Going inside for a hot drink at midnight only to fall asleep.

129) Meeting other members of SGL for the first time ever and It's too cloudy to see anything!. Then as I'm going home I was about 10 mins away from my home when the clouds just seemed to disappear!:confused: If I had stayed just a little longer I could've seen the milky way for the very first time! :)

130. Sleeping through the best clear few hours of observing time at PSP :confused: Apparently there was plenty of noise going on but I was zzzzzzz'ding it away in my tent oblivious to it all :)

Stu

Getting everything in the car before work for meeting Sgl members after. Only to have totally clear sky's everywhere apart from the site then helping my mate till 3am with his disco equipment out of a club and the sky cleaner and sharper than iv seen for a very long time but too tired to get the scope out:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagerly setting up your just delivered scope for the first time and realising you haven't spread the tripod legs enough when it slowly falls over. Scope, mount and all. :( Fortunately they come with countless cardboard boxes which cushioned the fall

Picking the scope up check it over to see if its ok, look down the eyepiece and see nothing but darkness. :) Lens cap.

Fantastic start to the hobby. :confused:

There's nothing I like worse than "BEING IN A TIME CRUNCH". :)

Reciently, while packing my dream scope, mount and tristand for overseas shipment, I was unable to find a source for 4" styrafoam sheets (jabalite in the UK) for lining the crates.

So, to the dismay of my Wife, I cut up the cushions from one of our couches and chairs to provide the necessary protection, as we were flying out the following day.

post-34570-133877763287_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you need to travel to a dark sky site gg probably a long way chicago bring the size it is :-(

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Yes Steve I do. Although I have 2 brothers that live out West of me. (50 and 100 miles) Both pretty good locations if the weather cooperates. Was out at the darkest site of the two (100 miles) this weekend but had such a bad forecast I didn't even bother to bring the scope. (Did grill some good steaks though) :))

Yeah, the glow from the car dealerships to the North of me is so bright that the only star I can see in the Little Dipper is Polaris. Aiming South is not so bad after 10 pm when the Park District lights go off.

Clear Skies...

Hi everyone,

Seems like a very appropriate place for my first post (nice to meet you all! :)) after what happened to me this weekend...

- Stooped over the scope, happily peering at Mars in great conditions, only to have an unknown foe suddenly and soundlessly thump into your back :confused: - turns out is was only my cat, who'd tried to jump onto me from the garden fence a few feet away, but it scared me so much i fully head-butted my scope, bruised my eye, kicked my tripod and lost a filter in the grass!

...Which leads me to my next moment of total frustration...

- waking up the next morning with a black eye and a boat-load of deep scratches on your back, with your wife laughing smugly, telling you she told you it was dangerous to spend time outside at night in this part of Leeds!

Wishing you all clear skies (and limited interruptions from assorted local wildlife, spiders, mosquitoes, cats etc!)

Derek

Archived