NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

101 moments of total frustration

stevetynant

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27) Finding something you've never seen before - a propper WOW moent- going inside to persuade the missus to come and have a look, only to find your optics covered with DEW!!!

27) I went camping in Dorset at a lovely dark site, having totally rammed the car full of children, camping gear plus all the scope kit.

I finally had a lovely clear night to have a really great all night session, with nothing planned the next day.....

I opened the car boot to start unpacking the kit, took the tripod out, carefully placed the keys inside the boot (no idea why!) and locked them in the boot with all my kit!:):eek::):mad:

It got worse. The sky was amazing, milky way as bright as anything, andromeda easily naked eye plus plenty of other fuzzies visible, I couldn't bear to give up. I phoned BMW assist and they didn't have anyone available until the morning. Only option was to join the RAC (£ 140 thank you very much). The guy came out, messed around for a while, succeeded in setting off my car alarm so many times that people in the next door tent complained that it had woken their children up so we had to give in:banghead:

So I sat, weeping gently into my beer, staring up at what remains one of the best skies I've seen in a long time, with not even a pair of binoculars :o

Stu

For me:

1) When your secondary mirror dews up

2) When the breeze blows so hard that your eyes constantly water

3) When a yobbo with a car is blinding your sight for two hours in a row on an airfield where you observe

Sorry for the incorrect numbering

29) Finding the couriers "We've returned your latest astro delivery to the depot" leaflet on the doormat after waiting in for it all day… realising the depot has moved from just down the road to 25 miles away… getting there to wait half an hour for them to say they can't find it … your other half phones to say the neighbour is on the doorstep with a parcel !!! … driving back under totally clear skies to arrive home just as the rain sets in..

lol in stiches we all know its true and happens to us all lol

30) spending £150 on the latest 25mm lens and deep down wondering if, despite what everyone on the forum tells us, its actually that much better than the free one that came with the scope-ooooooo painful

31 - Spending ages shooting sections for a mosaic of the moon only to find when you stitch them all together you've missed the smallest - yes the smallest - little section and your mosaic has an ugly black gap running right through your perfectly focussed, stacked masterpiece!

32. trying to respond to this thread in chronological order ! (i think we're on about 37 by now really)

33. trying to do a quick polar align before you attach your counter weights and scope to your EQ6 to save the monkey metal bolts from bending under the full weight, and spending 15 minutes scratching your head wondering why you can't find Polaris, only to find the counter weight bar hasn't been extended and is blocking the polar scope !

34. spending 10 minutes trying to get backyard EOS to connect to your camera, and then realising it's not switched on !

35 - Setting up your new finder scope to find that when you swing the scope into action it may have been centered to perfection but it wasn't tight enough to stop it bouncing off the floor.

I know, i'm sensing the sniggers.....

Although this would be numbered 38, we're actually at number 45 now: Moonshane posted a second number 3; 27, 8 and 9 have been posted twice each, and assasincz posted three more numbered 1-3.

So, here's number 45!

45) Arriving outside ready to get started under a beautiful clear night, having bid the missus a good night, to find you've left your red light torch in the bedroom in which she's now fast asleep!

46) Realising that your 6Se mount isn't as bad as you thought, you just need to remember to switch it to lunar tracking rate when you're looking at the moon then the damn thing won't drift like a drunk driver.

47) Spending all day gathering stuff to build a solar filter, overcoming issues to build it just in time for dusk.

48) Setting up at dusk for some imaging. Point the scope skywards to take some flats. Find it's been targeted by a high-flying pigeon with a perfect aim. Seriously: what are the odds?

49 getting everything setup and uncapped,proudly looking at the blue sky going dark,only to hear a quark! When a seagul takes a dump straight down the scope,lightly peppering your face as it hits its target.

Danny.

48) Setting up at dusk for some imaging. Point the scope skywards to take some flats. Find it's been targeted by a high-flying pigeon with a perfect aim. Seriously: what are the odds?
49 getting everything setup and uncapped,proudly looking at the blue sky going dark,only to hear a quark! When a seagul takes a dump straight down the scope,lightly peppering your face as it hits its target.

Danny.

Wow what are the odds of those 2 posts.. at the same time.. LOL

:)

50) ( if I type fast enough )

Finally, after months of looking for an astro book on eBay/Abe Books, you give in an buy it full price from Amazon. Next evening, a mint used copy is available from eBay/Abe for peanuts. This has happened twice.

51/ taking your barlow out of focuser and putting it somewhere safe so safe you can't find it:)

52/ finding barlow in the safe place with your foot and the silence being broken by a crunch:(

Archived