Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

101 moments of total frustration

stevetynant

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As we all know a new telescope comes with a complimentary supply of clouds :D

Well said Ganymede, well said...

p.s. I was reading about Ganymede today in a book I got from the library. "Touring the Universe"

Clear skies...

In the middle of a great session, neighbours all tucked up and lights off (for once) , dark adapted (for once) , bit parky so pop indoors to make cuppa in dark by touch , pint mug , 2 teabags , 2 sugars , water in , pop out to check camera , back in , quick stir , bags out........ and forget that 1000W bulb lurking inside the fridge ....... .blinding and now another 45mins adapting !! blumming good cuppa though.

Driving an hour and a half to meet other stargazers at a fab dark sky spot, being completely clouded out, getting rained on so giving up, driving home watching the sky clear seeing the stars tempting us only for it to be cloudy by the time we got home! Grrrrr

Driving an hour and a half to meet other stargazers at a fab dark sky spot, being completely clouded out, getting rained on so giving up, driving home watching the sky clear seeing the stars tempting us only for it to be cloudy by the time we got home! Grrrrr

we've all been there - thats the joy of astronomy in the UK unfortunately.

144) Having just purchased some Baader astrosolar safety film it occurs to me for the first time that I don't know which day of the week the transit of Venus is on. I consult my calender and find that it is on a school day! :D

Luckily the transit starts very early (5am). If being a little tired during lessons is the price to pay for a once in a lifetime opportunity then I'm willing to make that sacrifice!

144) Having just purchased some Baader astrosolar safety film it occurs to me for the first time that I don't know which day of the week the transit of Venus is on. I consult my calender and find that it is on a school day! :D

Luckily the transit starts very early (5am). If being a little tired during lessons is the price to pay for a once in a lifetime opportunity then I'm willing to make that sacrifice!

Being a teacher I thought that but our half term is late due to the Queen's Jubilee so we are actually on half term. :)

I had a frustrating night yesterday. Clear all evening. Set the scope outside at 21:30, started planning a list of objects to see, including quasar Mrk 421 (number 3 if found, and easier at mag 13.3 than OJ 287 I had found before), ready to start observing when it was dark enough at about 22:45. Cloud all over :):D

In the middle of a great session, neighbours all tucked up and lights off (for once) , dark adapted (for once) , bit parky so pop indoors to make cuppa in dark by touch , pint mug , 2 teabags , 2 sugars , water in , pop out to check camera , back in , quick stir , bags out........ and forget that 1000W bulb lurking inside the fridge ....... .blinding and now another 45mins adapting !! blumming good cuppa though.

:) Absolutely brilliant! Loved this one Steve! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Being a teacher I thought that but our half term is late due to the Queen's Jubilee so we are actually on half term. ;)

Actually, looking at my calender now, I have a half term that co-insides with the transit so I'm happy now :eek:

145) Just finished creating my solar filter. I'm dead proud of my work and get about 10mins of solar viewing before my parents call me in for dinner. When I go back out side guess what's waiting for me....... you guessed it, Clouds ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Getting up at 01.00 this am with the promise of clear skies, look out the bedroom window - clear.

Get ready, go down stairs, open back door - cloud filled sky!!!!

D.C

147) I setup somewhere quiet in the (seemingly) middle of nowhere, was busy looking at Virgo in my own little world with earphones in listening to music. Didn't hear the sound of an incoming friendly Cocker spaniel, and the first I knew was a strange cold wet sensation of its nose pressed against my cheek and a cursory lick......I nearly passed out in fright!!!

148) Turning up at a Starparty (i.e. SGL7) hungry just before sunset and forgetting to bring first night food supplies. Unable to drive out the camp (we HAD to put the tent up) in time to pick something up until the morning, and surviving on the two measly cupcakes left in the car from an unknown origin!!

149) Making a wish list and then realizing there's no way on Earth the Mrs. will let you purchase even a fraction of what you want...I mean 'need' :-)

150) The price of buying equipment

151) The utter non interest of friends when you show them something through the EP....i.e. comments such as "Why bother? It looks much better on tv"

155) Look at Saturn, all you can see is a bright white light, check a few things such as your focus, then you realise you are actually looking at Arcturus not Saturn.

I'm pleased to say I've never made this mistake ;)

(Mine was Spica :))

156) Beautifully centering a target for imaging with all gear set up, fabulous clear night, then finding my T-ring is very loose and needs tightning. Cant find the right size tiny allen key anywhere!

157) Simply being an astronomer resident in the UK ..LOL

158) Trying to show an impatient, semi-interested friend who's already feeling the cold their first ever view of Saturn at high magnification... then the scope gets knocked out of position!

159) Taking your 10" dob to your local society observing evening and forgetting to bring the tighting screws!

159a) Not realising that the answers in this thread should be numbered then adding them later LOL

Matt

• 1 month later...

160). Getting all setup, polar aligned, star aligned, target nicely centred for imaging, focused, and about to set the camera off on the first of a long imaging sequence. Then the power tank inexplicably decides to blow its circuit breaker and shuts down all power, losing all alignment data, and essentially forcing a restart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived