Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

101 moments of total frustration

stevetynant

96. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this one.... dropping a screwdriver down your newt while collimating it.

(not my personal experience, but I've heard it's happened to a few people)

I am trying to forget I did that, thanks Sam :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100) Driving 270 miles to view an "excellent condition" scope, only to find out it's not, it's all rusted and the mirror is knackered. Then driving back and getting stuck in a killer traffic jam on the M6.

101) People calling the moon landings fake! The idea is utterly nonsense! Of course we landed on the moon! The flag blew because momentum kept it from stopping and it was supported by a metal rod, The "Shadows" were optical illusions caused by the lunar dust (and poor cameras) and the boot print stayed clear because that's how fine dust behaves in a vaccume and the stars weren't visible because the glare from the sun out shined them!

Also why didn't the Russians - their competitors at the time - claim it was fake?

102) Have scanned U.K. Astro Buy & Sell for some time looking for a particular piece of kit, go and buy the item new - only to find a used one has just appeared on that site (...you still check out the price to add to the pain!):)

Clear skies

James

P.S *&$$£@! It was only up to 99 when I started typing! :):D:D

101) People calling the moon landings fake! The idea is utterly nonsense! Of course we landed on the moon! The flag blew because momentum kept it from stopping and it was supported by a metal rod, The "Shadows" were optical illusions caused by the lunar dust (and poor cameras) and the boot print stayed clear because that's how fine dust behaves in a vaccume and the stars weren't visible because the glare from the sun out shined them!

Also why didn't the Russians - their competitors at the time - claim it was fake?

They should have put down a massive flag or something so it could have been seen with a scope.

They should have put down a massive flag or something so it could have been seen with a scope.

That reminds me of Frankie Boyle's joke on MTW when he said - why waste all that money on the Olympics for a bit of national pride, when you could just spend the money writing F-off Germany on the moon.

98) Using drawing pins to attach large pieces of cardboard to the fence to block out the neighbours spotlights,

then kneeling down to look through the polar scope right onto one of the aforementioned drawing pins.

I couldn't pull it out by hand so had to hop into the garage to find some pliers.

My wife stood in the kitchen window laughing her head off, lol

Brilliant, LOL :)

105: Good forecast so sat down at the computer for two hours printing Telrad charts for the Sky at Night 55 Moore Marathon, just finished the last one as the hail clouds roll over :-/

Edit for renumbering

oh this is fun.... yes ive done that with a screwdriver colimating too, and the power supply wrong voltage thing too. It beats me why there isnt a standard fitting on astro kit that is different for 12, 6V and polarity.

106: Spending the first 15 minutes of a precious 30 minute slot on the Faulkes Telescope wondering why you are being told all your nicely planned objects to observe aren't visible...only to find the scope you have control of is in Hawaii not Australia as you had thought (the following week's booking was for Australia!!).

Helen

104) Walking in the dark towards your scope and tripping over some re-potted plants which have mysteriously moved because they "look better there"

Love it! Happens to me nearly every night - comes of being married to a horticulturalist.

(Excellent avatar, btw. A Triking?)

108 : Trying to explain to a thick 50 year old fat neighbour that your super massive telescope cannot see though her closed bedroom curtains or walls and that you have a lovely 31 year old wife at home for that. Or failing that, you have the internet or the dog that would look much more pleasing if you shaved it's backside and taught it to walk backwards !!!!!!

Hey Catanonia that's my mother you are talking about!!! :):D:D

Interesting phrase this, "....a lovely 31 year old at home for that. Or failing that..." Do you have a confession to make young man? :):):D:D

James (now talking his mum down from the roof using a very sturdy ladder!)

I must admit sometimes i feel uneasy when imaging DSO's which happen to be close to my neighbours' houses and windows. I wonder what they make of my hobby!

Also, the Met police helicopter hovering around for a while over my head.

108 : Trying to explain to a thick 50 year old fat neighbour that your super massive telescope cannot see though her closed bedroom curtains or walls and that you have a lovely 31 year old wife at home for that. Or failing that, you have the internet or the dog that would look much more pleasing if you shaved it's backside and taught it to walk backwards !!!!!!

:):D:D:D Classic.. I've just choked on the first mouthful of a nice red reading that..

Not long after we moved into this house one of the neighbours called round whilst I was out the back with the scope.. the first thing my other half said to her was.. "It's all right.. he's only looking for... Jupiter" which reminds me of this classic.. Spitting Image: Uranus.avi - YouTube

110) Having your partner ask for you to take you out seeing with them then complaining when the night is young to "come home it's cold."

Not happy right now there was still loads too see with magnificent clear, dark skies! :)

109. Its a wonderful clear sky the stars are shining bright after weeks of cloud but its november the 5th :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Sorry mate, guilty as charged. I fire Cat4 pyro, 17 shows in 4 days over November weekend last year.

Archived