NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

101 moments of total frustration

stevetynant

I'll kick it off - you get the idea

1) setting up in the garden, waiting for the scope to cool down eventually coming outside with your coffee as Saturn rises on the horizon just as the neighbors your not fussed on at the best of times turn the garden floodlights on and leave them on all night.

2) Spending hours making a setting circle for your Dob and when the big moment comes you can't find anything because you've put the numbers on it clockwise when they needed to be anti clockwise.

3) You find the perfect dark sky spot in the back of beyond that you've driven 40 miles to reach only to fnd out its the meeting place for the local boy racer community.

over to anyone - lets see if there are 101 out there :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3) Setting up at dusk after work after ages of not observing and under clear skies. You have a brew and go outside as the scope should have cooled by now, and it's almost certainly dark enough and guess what......wall to wall orange clouds again.

4) Full moon and you get it - clear as a bell.

6) packing up after a very unsuccessful night - where nothing worked... only to lay in bed and suddenly remember you hadn't plugged the camera in!

Yes I've done it :)

Ant

8) Setting down to a nice few hours' observation when the kit fails, battery powered or otherwise.

(a Dob base that squeals like a banshee in the dead of night is not conducive to a peaceful session, for observer OR neighbour)

12) Linked to Moonshane's....you have visitors coming round for a meal, copious amounts of alcohol.....and a clear, transparent night with EXCELLENT seeing. Wife won't let you do a sickie either, because she's bought some posh grub with a short sell-by-date for the occasion. The evening winds down at 1:30am and you are too pooped to go outside.

HA HA lol brilliant keep them coming

16 really looking forward tp learning something new at the local observing group or star party only to find out the newest recruit thinks he's a jedi knight and keeps flashing his lazer tool on and off all evening and talking about UFOs

21) Spend ages trying to get the perfect stiction on my dob base/lazy susan mod. Worked perfect until one day I lifted the base and the bottom part fell of and landed on my foot!

(think I could do 101 of these on my own!!)

23) Having reassembled the mount after transporting it, not tightening the dec counterweight colar cap, so that when you turn it all around in RA the RA counterweight goes *clunk* usually on your foot.

21) Spend ages trying to get the perfect stiction on my dob base/lazy susan mod. Worked perfect until one day I lifted the base and the bottom part fell of and landed on my foot!

(think I could do 101 of these on my own!!)

lol classic

25) after a night out in the cold you pack away, come home from work the next day to find out the kids have used your scope for a clothes horse and its covered in tee shirts and jeans from last nights student partying

not sure if 101 is going to be enough

Archived