Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Warm clothes?

Astrosurf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one of these in November. Rab PowerStretch Men's Zip Top | GO Outdoors Very nice and warm as a mid-layer. Coolmax baselayer under it and a hoody top and 3-in-1 Jacket/fleece combo on top Berghaus Aura Men's Waterproof Jacket | GO Outdoors

Cheapo Sainsury's thermal longjohns under jeans. Good socks HH WARM NEW APEX SKI SOCK - Helly Hansen Official Online Store and walking boots Karrimor KSB Tour eVent II Waterproof Walking Boot | GO Outdoors

Then you just need good gloves and a hat First Light Optics - Stargazers Lounge Beanie Hat to complete the ensemble.

I find that Lidl (and probably Aldi) sell cheap ski-wear at the end of the season (March-May) usually a very reasonable prices. Last year I got myself some Ski trousers (very warm and windproof) and some thermal boots. Both were under £20. Just watch for their ads or look on their websites.

I wear an old ski jacket and a pair of salopettes that my wife found in the local charity shop. I have a pair of knitted fingerless gloves and hat, both with a thermal lining. If I find my neck is still cold then I have a "tube" scarf, but it's rarely been that chilly this winter. If I'm out in the field rather than on the patio then footwear is ski socks and either safety boots or wellies. When I'm just on the patio it's whatever I find first.

James

Cotswold camping usually have a pre Christmas sale, I picked up a Berghaus down jacket for £100, so glad I did, we had -9 degrees at Seething a couple of weeks ago; even the tripod leg of my froze over!

When it is really cold I wear thermals - long sleeve shirt and long johns - underneath normal clothes, thick winter jumper, a gillet and big jacket. It can be hard to move sometimes, but it does the job. Then add a scarf and hat when windy/cold.

Womens winter down jacket - Women Outdoor Gear Shop - Alpkit

Get one a size bigger, allows a couple of bits on easier under it. Also means you can zip the neck up a bit more :)

Very warm, especially as when observing you tend to be stood still. This is something that is forgotten.

Wore one at -12 last year on a public night. I was warm, everyone else was freezing.

They seem to go up about £5 every year.

A nice pair of fingerless gloves with fold over hand warmers from debenhams about £9 in the sale after christmas and a recent discovery that I already had some wellington boot socks, probably a long forgotten christmas present, they come up almost to my knees and are quite thick.

Tyr

Another vote for ski gear. Decent salopettes and a big down jacket. Don't wear anythng tight. Boots are best a size up and the key part of any astronomy boot is the sole, which must be thick and insulated. The rest isn't that important. Those daft Moon Boots are good if you put a bit of camping mat in as an inner sole. Cat Protection League for a quid is what you want to look out for! I bet Decathlon will be selling off ski-wear on the cheap pretty soon.

The Blazewear stuff is great but unobtainlable most of the time. I think I got lucky there.

Olly

The Blazewear stuff is great but unobtainlable most of the time. I think I got lucky there.

If anyone wants a Blazewear jacket they are available here at a substantial discount from when I bought mine a few months back.

The only special purchase has been fingerless gloves, with fold over mitts.

Ridiculous looking, but very warm trapper style hat. Hey it is dark!

Everything else is based on standard clothes with layering for the season.

2/3 t shirts & jumpers. Joggers + trousers, 2 pairs socks, you get the idea. On footwear, my old motorbike boots are very good. On the large size to accomodate thick socks and no risk of ankle twist on rough ground.

I love my down jacket. I bought it for climbing but it's brilliant for astronomy.

They're useless in the rain, but then I don't observe if it is raining anyway! Make sure to get one that fits right - it shouldn't be too loose. I have a Mountain Hardwear one but any reputable brand should be good.

Andrew

I use Masters Wind Stopper golf gloves when I am using my GOTO hand controller, these allow me to programme the telescope without removing the gloves (I do use them in the winter for golf as well). You can get them from Amazon for about £15 or good golf shops and at this time of year they might be going cheaper as the winter season for golf has nearly finished:)

Also found ski pants to be very good as well, keeps my back warm while out viewing.

Peter

Thinsulate boots work well to keep feet warm. Some nice ones out there.

Pair of normal socks.

Snowboarding sallopettes with braces to stop them falling down and giving you a cold back, then a nice snowboarding jacket. Mines from Tog24 and has pockets, warm and has built in half gloves. I.e. your sleeve is also a glove you poke your thumb through so it keeps to your fingers warm.

And then to top it off, a wool hat of some sort.

Toasty.

Cheers

Ian

Archived