Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What have I done!

pilkinn

I've just agreed the purchase of a used Celestron C11. Going to pick it up on Saturday. I've been looking for a C8 or maybe a C9.25 for a while. Of course impatience got the better of me and I couldn't resist the C11. It's going to be a monster compared to my other scopes! I think I'd better get down the gym and start pumping some weights.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a peg or a yoke (pig of a thing) as we say here in Ireland. That makes my C8 look like a pocket watch.

Holland&Barrett sell some good protein powders to help bulk you up in a safe and natural way.

This guy looks like a fairly big guy and even he seems to be struggling just holding the C11: Its as big as the average kitchen dustbin.

post-18019-133877715322_thumb.jpg

Are you having a longish drive to Manchester Neil?

Saw a C11 on Astro buy & sell earlier today.

That's the one. Surrey to Manchester and back.

That picture with the bloke with the beard makes me think my boot might not be big enough.

That's the one. Surrey to Manchester and back.

That picture with the bloke with the beard makes me think my boot might not be big enough.

why, have you got to fit the bearded guy in the car too ? :icon_scratch:

Exactly the same thoughts kept running through my head as I have ordered myself a 12" f5 dobsonian :icon_scratch: No sweat, really, just keep in mind that you will not be running a marathon with that beast in your hand as a replacement for a marathon stick and all will be well. Occasional transportation is no biggie.

However, are we talking entire scope+mount+tripod or OTA only? According to cloudynights.com, the C11 OTA is about 12.5 kg, which seems resonable to me.

Exactly the same thoughts kept running through my head as I have ordered myself a 12" f5 dobsonian :icon_scratch: No sweat, really, just keep in mind that you will not be running a marathon with that beast in your hand as a replacement for a marathon stick and all will be well. Occasional transportation is no biggie.

However, are we talking entire scope+mount+tripod or OTA only? According to cloudynights.com, the C11 OTA is about 12.5 kg, which seems resonable to me.

It's just the OTA I'm buying and transporting from Manchester. Once home it'll probably only be used in my garden. I don't have an obbsy though so it will be a case of lugging back and forth from the shed. 12.5kg doesn't sound too bad which is why I went for it in the end.

Its not that bad to carry on its own - I can do it and I'm only just over 5 foot and don't go to the gym!! I've even managed to mount it on the EQ6 on my own a couple of times (although whilst doing it I did think that it was rather risky!!). The advantage is that its relatively compact so easy to cradle to carry, I find an 8inch dob tube much harder to carry because its awkward.

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

Got it back in one piece. I spent the last clear evening collimating it until the clouds rolled in so not had a chance to use it properly. It's doesn't actually feel that heavy - big things often don't. I'm sure my mount feels it though!.

post-21061-13387772063_thumb.jpg

Archived