NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asteroid YU55 - captured it at last

Hi all,

Whoopee, I managed to capture close-approach asteroid 2005 YU55 this evening at last, after failing to locate it last night. It's fading rapidly, but still at around 13.5 magnitude.

I should have found it last night but it simply didn't seem to be at the predicted location, then I read Freddy's (Frewi808) report which noted that he thought the asteroid appeared to be 25 minutes ahead of its predicted time. So I had another go this evening, taking a series of 30-second exposures in areas ahead of its predicted route and, bingo, one of the images showed an object which had moved during the exposure. I locked onto it and then took a series of 30 second exposures. It was only about 14 degrees from the full moon, and the frames had a huge gradient with one side completely white due to the massive moon glare. However, a bit of playing in Photoshop got rid of some of the gradients. Despite the horrendous glare from the moon, I managed to capture stars down to around 16th magnitude in these unbinned 30-sec exposures. The asteroid actually appears to be around 90 minutes ahead of the postion predicted on the NASA Horizons ephemeris.

Here's an animation of 21 x 30 second frames (total time 10.5 minutes) from about 20:05 UT 10th November 2011, SXVF-H9 cam, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian. Sorry, no darks or flats (hence the bad gradients and dust bunnies). The field of view is about 25 arc-minutes across.

YU55_2011_11_10.gif

And here's a screen grab from Carte du Ciel showing where it actually was at 20:00 tonight, and where NASA Horizons said it should be. It might not look much, but it meant I couldn't find it last night. It seems to be on the predicted trajectory, but ahead of its predicted time.

post-16549-133877690981_thumb.jpg

Bye bye YU55, till next time!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot, gents.

Justin, the NASA Horizons website is here. It'll be around mag 14.5 tonight, 15.2 tomorrow, and 15.7 on Sunday, fading to mag 19 by the end of the month. I just realised that you can select the co-ordinates according to 'Astrometric' RA & Dec, or 'Apparent' RA & Dec. I used the former, but YU55 is closer to the latter co-ordinates, although still around 25 minutes ahead of its predicted position as Freddy said. That explains why I couldn't find it the night before. What's the point of the astrometric co-ordinates then, if that doesn't give you its real position? Presumably it's something to do with the fixed epoch of the mapping, taking into account the precession of the equinoxes?

Nice one Luke. You were determined to get it.:D

It looks an innocent little speck, but it would have caused unimaginable damage and loss of life had it smacked into Earth. I don't mind seeing them at arms length :eek:.

Ron.

Thanks again, all. Incidentally, the asteroid was around 1.3 million miles away from earth when I took these images. It's moved away rapidly from its close approach of 200,000 miles a couple of days ago.

Thanks a lot, gents.

Justin, the NASA Horizons website is here. It'll be around mag 14.5 tonight, 15.2 tomorrow, and 15.7 on Sunday, fading to mag 19 by the end of the month. I just realised that you can select the co-ordinates according to 'Astrometric' RA & Dec, or 'Apparent' RA & Dec. I used the former, but YU55 is closer to the latter co-ordinates, although still around 25 minutes ahead of its predicted position as Freddy said. That explains why I couldn't find it the night before. What's the point of the astrometric co-ordinates then, if that doesn't give you its real position? Presumably it's something to do with the fixed epoch of the mapping, taking into account the precession of the equinoxes?

Or are Astrometric RA & Dec measured from the centre of the Earth, with Apparent RA & Dec being from a particular point on the Earth's surface? This would be significant with such a close-approach object.

Tom

Archived