Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better late than never, I picked up a new 2" castell UHC filter for 45 squid at the astronomy show a few weeks ago.

Out of interest I compared it to the 1.25" TV Nebustar UHC that I've had for a few years and I couldn't tell any difference between them.

Probably finish next spring Steve because 11 of them are the galaxies in the virgo cluster which has passed for this year. Funnily enough I have actually observed them before but that was before I officially started my count :rolleyes: Just got a few other random ones dotted about and then it'll be done. Once I've finished the Caldwell list I'm toying with the idea of starting again and sketching each one!!

Better late than never, I picked up a new 2" castell UHC filter for 45 squid at the astronomy show a few weeks ago.

Out of interest I compared it to the 1.25" TV Nebustar UHC that I've had for a few years and I couldn't tell any difference between them.

That was a good deal!

I've been on the look out for a 2" filter.

The problem with constantly looking at the Classifieds here and ABS is you tend to pick up something else instead!

I now have a 5mm Celestron X-Cel LX from here, thanks PIG!

And a 14mm Meade 5000 UWA!

Cheers

I have a cunning plan

I have noticed that every time I buy something new, within days a good second hand one comes available.

Been looking for a Atik 320 for weeks now with not a sniff.

So If I post on here I have bought one, can guarantee one will appear in days.

So Just bought a NEW Atik 320..............fingers crossed now

I have a cunning plan

I have noticed that every time I buy something new, within days a good second hand one comes available.

Been looking for a Atik 320 for weeks now with not a sniff.

So If I post on here I have bought one, can guarantee one will appear in days.

So Just bought a NEW Atik 320..............fingers crossed now

Sounds good, we'll keep this plan a secret. :lipsrsealed:

• 2 weeks later...

Last week while trolling a local market / boot sale for a flat of cherries, I came across an older, and large video camera tripod. It seemed complete, and everything worked, but it did look like it needed a cleaning and some TLC. Well the price was right, :icon_biggrin: so I ended up lugging 20+ pounds of metal all the way back to the car. :tongue:

The tripod cleaned up nice, and where the paint was scratched, I touched it up with a "Sharpie"marker ; good as new. :grin:

It's labled as a Manfrotto # 132 professional tripod, and has a Model 116 Mark II Fluid Head.

I think this will be a good tripod for a variety of scopes. Will post a photo when I locate my camera.

Nice find Mike. Was that the one you had at Blaenavon last week. That was a pricey piece of kit in it's day.

Yes, that was it. Sure would have been nice if the rotating ball adjusted to 52*, unfortunately only tilts to about 20*, so slow motion tracking is not an option this far North; but then, this tripod wasn't designed with Astronomy in mind. One thing about the UK weather, it gives you time to tinker with stuff. I'll have to see what other gear we have will work with this.

Archived