Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

latest buys.. the S.W.V.G :P

garethmob

I popped in with some cake for the guys at FLO while on holiday in Devon.......and came out with a little EQ3 mount ready for Mallorca next month :grin: Set it up in the holiday apartment and forgot to screw it on to the tripod before adding the counterweight and d'oh :rolleyes: it hit the floor. Cracked the casing, but otherwise seems OK thankfully!! Got it set up with the little borg on the balcony there and had some nice views of Panstarrs :grin: as the balcony looked out west over the sea I could view right down. The mount seems quite neat and I can carry it fully loaded easily too. I just need to learn how to polar align now, as I'm spoilt with an obs and for visual I use alt az. I think my next purchase will be a kneeling pad!!

I'm selling my big dob though :icon_cry: - too big for me to handle

Helen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what gets sneeked in when she's not looking..... Or. Look dear iv bought you a nice pair of shoes...... And this telescope:P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Mine didn't last long in the conservatory.

Just long enough to make a box for it to sit in out the shed!

You must've been sad to see it go, but then again, if it was too big.

There's definitely something in the saying that the best 'scope is the one that gets used the most (regardless of size!).

Cheers

Yes, I was sad as I'd really enjoyed it when I was able to use it, but it just wasn't practical. I've now got what I believe is a much more flexible solution - an AZ EQ6 which I can lug from the shed onto the patio (just!) and then use with a variety of scopes. I'm looking to get rings so that I can manage to handle putting a C11 on there without risk to me or the scope!! The EQ6AZ has many of the advantages of the dob in that it can be used manually as well as driven if you get the balance right, and in driven mode you can still find things manually and then re-engage the drive without loosing the goto alignment. So I'm hoping not to miss the dob too much.

Just need some clear skies now!!!

Helen

You will love the C11 Helen, but it is a bit of a beast to lift and hold steady while clamping it onto the standard Skywatcher mount head.

Just got the NEQ6 and the new clamp head on that is sooooooooo much easier to use. The AZ EQ has the same head as the EQ6 so thats going to be a great combination.

You will need an extra weight for balance as the tweo supplied weights are not enough, am waiting for one now to be delivered but they are in short supply

Pat

Yes, Pat it is big isn't it! I've managed to mount it a couple of times on my own, but its a bit risky! I'm OK for counterweights thankfully. Hopefully it'll be clear before Saturn disappears again!!

Helen

A castell 2" oiii filter from 365 astronomy.

Must concentrate more whilst reading and go to bed early tonight!

I read that as Castrol 2" Oil Filter and was thinking, "Is that Dob petrol or diesel then?" :p

Cheers

Oh lol!

Forgot to put my "latest purchase"!

Well, it'll have to wait now until the weather clears up a bit and I've had a chance to use it.

What was the news with your mount then?

Hi Rhys,

I'm sorry I dont quite follow. I presume we have spoken before?

Current news with the mount is on first fiddle i've found a binding dec axis which also has some play.I also sheared the dec clamp screw :(

Hi Rhys,

I'm sorry I dont quite follow. I presume we have spoken before?

Current news with the mount is on first fiddle i've found a binding dec axis which also has some play.I also sheared the dec clamp screw :(

I'm guessing you're the Stu who had a problem with his mount on Friday at blaenavon? Or am I getting mixed up?

I'm guessing you're the Stu who had a problem with his mount on Friday at blaenavon? Or am I getting mixed up?

No, I havent yet been to any of the Blaenavon meets. I'll be the Stu thats having problems with his mount today though.

Archived