Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Sky tonight!

g0ibi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep its looking good but one hell of a lot of dew allready on the car windscreen so thats a pain,as placed order with first light optics tuesday night for dew band and controller and not even been processed yet,id heard good things about them but once b4 never answered email id sent asking about a product,and no email about reason for delay on these products.

Clear skies here too so new scope outside cooling and I am very hopeful of first light!

New to this SCT lark and don't have a dew shield so given what redfox says that might be a problem.

Just hoping to collimate, check out the general operation of the scope and maybe take a peak at Jupiter.

It's crystal clear here in Rutland tonight.

The Moon is chasing Jupiter across the night sky.

The only down side is with such a bright full moon, there are less stars.

Thankfully, the Moon has always been my favourite object to observe.

Been out for a couple of hours trying to get some exposures of NGC7331 before the moon washed the sky out... Seeing is not brilliant here in Stevenage, lots of LP and a somewhat milky sky, and a lot of due forming - weather station shows 87% humidity :D

I have got about 30 min worth of 3 min subs on the Crescent nebula so far. Only an unmodded DSLR but I can see a reasonable smudge on the preview so I should be able to make something of it. I will give it a few hours. Might get the dob out in a bit as well.

apart from the moon and jupiter Im struggling to dentify much else. been trying the alignment on the goto several times but always seems to be a bit out, not sure if im actually picking the right stars thru the finder/scope despite pointing them out with my eye. all part of the learning process I guess.

on the plus side the had some cracking views of jupiter with 10mm & 2x barlow. seeing 2 clear bands and the 4 moons.

Idiot Abroad's on now so the scope has a rest for an hour

Managed to get outside for a bit.

Although it's clear the conditions are not great.

Both the seeing conditions and transparency are bad.

However had a scoot around some of my favourite targets like the ring nebula, owl cluster, the double cluster and also the double double in Lyra although they are just a figment of their usual quality.

I did watch Io transit into the shadow of Jupiter which is always fun to watch. One minute it's there the next it's gone :D

Just out of interest what is the duration of Io's orbit? I.e when will it reappear?

You don't need to look at the Moon for too long without a neutral density filter to see why they tell you never to look at the Sun, nearly blinded myself. Filter's on now :D

I don't often look at the Moon, but it's showing some beautiful detail tonight, especially the crater towards the north.

I noticed that above 100x there's a lot of atmospheric turbulence. I'm not seeing the usual level of detail in clusters either. Still it's great to get out after so many days of cloud.

Still clear in Glos. but man does it feel cold.

Weather station is showing an external temp of 5.1C and 93% humidity. But at least there is no wind... so no wind chill at all !

Must admit, the only thing keeping my warm room warm is me and the heat coming off the PC.. still its managing 4C above external temperature.... by my knees are still numb !!!

Archived