Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Sky tonight!

g0ibi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lovely and clear here can still just make out the ring neb and dombell neb but no structure. as said jupiter lovely could see 1 of the moons coming round the other side around an hour ago lovely sight.

Dew got me in the end but I enjoyed first light with the new scope. Despite being shipped half way around the world it arrived with the collimation bang on!

Glad to here it all went well with the new scope, I'm still Jealous.

With regards to Dew, I was watching the star men documantary the other night and one of the guys recommended that any serious astronomer should have a hair dryer at hand so solve the problem with Dew.

Not sure if its a good idea or not electrically, but thought it was worth a mention.

By the time I got out and setup last night, moon + jupiter were getting decently high (man)... the latter of which was cracking, best views I've had so far (albeit somewhat limited, had the scope barely a month!). Could see not only the two main bands, but the edges of the bands were wiggly, and could see faint colour in the lower section.

Nearly blinded myself with the moon. Managed to sketch all of a handful of craters before I gave up. Dew was becoming a problem with my eps too :D

Forecast isn't too bad for tonight either...

Forecast isn't too bad for tonight either...

For me, down here in my part of Kent, Met Office weather predicts clear skies tonight up until 1am, mist will roll in at about 4am and fog here by 7am. So hopefully, a few hours of observing for me. The transit of Jupiters moon, Io will be happening approx 19.20pm until approx 21.30pm followed by the GRS according to my Sky Safari software.

Predicted to be clear here in Boston tonight..

Will be out with the 200P Dob tonight after last nights good session with the Tal 100RS looking at The Moon and Jupiter, nothing much else to see as the Moon was so bright!

Probably be out just after 9pm, so will deffo be looking at Jupter and Io.

Doc

Getting set up now for tonight. It's been wall to wall blue sky and not a cloud in sight. I'm hoping to try out the Qhy5 on the Celestron 127 mak to see what images I can get of Jupiter, given the transit and GRS being on view...

Could be a long session, stocked up on plenty of coffee in the observatory to keep me going :D

I had a short session outside last night looking mainly at Jupiter and the Moon, there wasn't much else to see visually as the skies were a bit washed out but I did take some time to split the Double Double with the 7mm Ortho. My new 25mm long 2" extension works perfectly and I can now focus all my eyepieces in the limited 30mm of travel that my focuser has. Up until now I have made do with a 25mm 1.25" extension which is too short for some of the barrels on my eyepieces, they hit the bottom before being fully inserted. Life is sweet :D

My secondary looks grubby under moonlight so I might take it out of it's holder for inspection and cleaning, carefully of course. It seems to have a couple of dew spots and dust marks and what could be a film of something on the surface.

I put my ST80 out last night about 9pm, went out at 10pm to do a spot of moon viewing only to find everything looking like Ripley's cryo pod from the opening scene in Aliens (covered in dew), even the eyepiece was soaked! Luckily I had not exposed the 10mm or moon filter to the air so it was OK for some nice close-up views of the craters.

Saw some lovely crater rims poking out of the shadow, they must be massive for me to be able to see them! There was a bit of chromatic aberration (I think that's what it was - colour fringing) so that makes me think about upgrading to an apochromatic, as I clearly am enjoying using the 80mm telescope.

Archived