Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah - I'm sat down here in Kent, being a former resident of near Blaenavon.

Miss the dark skies we used to have there :(

Would love to meet up with some of you on one of my visits home at some point.  

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the group.  As Lenny said, keep tabs on the threads, and join in when you can. 

Cheers !

I had wonderful evening last night up in Brecon some amazing views, i spent over an hour looking at jupiter

Last night wasn't worth the effort in my neck of the woods Dai. Glad you were able to get some quality observing.   :smiley:

Edit: My Wife and I drove through Fochriw last week. My first thought was " hmmm, I'll bet this is a dark area at night ".

We would have stopped by theThe Rising Sun for refreshments, but there appeared to be a lot of work going on.

Mars stuck its head above the mountain here last night at about 11pm, but like said the moon is blanking everything just now.

Still going to try and get out tonight and play with the new Atik clouds permitting

Pat

Edit: My Wife and I drove through Fochriw last week. My first thought was " hmmm, I'll bet this is a dark area at night ".

We would have stopped by theThe Rising Sun for refreshments, but there appeared to be a lot of work going on.

Sorry to tell you but they pulled the last pint there nearly 2 years ago very sad to see it shut,

anyway scope allready set up ready for tonight looks promising here in Brecon fingers crossed.

Hi and welcome to you Sandraj 

Pat

is going over to the dark side ,     Atik   ?? witch one , you lucky boy  !!!

Lenny

Thanks for the welcomes everyone  :smiley:

Bad clouds here tonight so no viewing for me.

Does anyone keep their scope outside under cover for short periods of time? I took the Dob out yesterday afternoon, covered it up waiting for the stars to come out but brought it back in at 8pm as it was so cloudy, if the sky clears I will naturally want to go back and and grab a bit of time on it but find it quite awkward lugging in and out the kitchen, not sure how robust the scopes are staying under cover for hours at a time.

Should be OK to keep the Dob out side Sandra as long as it is not going to rain.

They have to be taken outside for about an hour before viewing to allow it to cool down to outside temperature.

Any sign of rain then bring it in. If your going to be away from it for a while then put the tube face down and put the lens cover on.

You will also need to make a dew shield for it, if you don't already have one. You can buy one but you can make one for about a 1/4 of the price with a camping mat and some Velcro.

When you bring it in for the night store it with the open end with lens cap face down to allow and condensation to stay away from the mirror.

Pat

Archived