NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

I think you'll see it in an 8 inch Steve.  It was really obvious even on short 4 sec exposures, brighter than the galaxy and I think I can easily see the galaxy in my small scope :-)

But not tonight!!!  'orrible weather here  :sad:

Helen

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last night was a bit of an odd one Mike- horrible all day but when I looked out about 9pm the sky was beautifully clear although the wind was strong - 10ish it clouded - later on in the early hours it got clear again and I woke up to rain - horrible really.

Forecast says its getting colder later this week-hopefully that will translate into some clear skies for us we're spretty much overdue on some luck in that respect.

I think you'll see it in an 8 inch Steve.  It was really obvious even on short 4 sec exposures, brighter than the galaxy and I think I can easily see the galaxy in my small scope :-)

But not tonight!!!  'orrible weather here  :sad:

Helen

It's fab in an 8", no problem at all. Just need the clear skies though.

Hi all. Complete noob down in Swansea just saying hello. Still waiting (impatiently! ) for the arrival of my first decent scope. Was all set to push the button and order a skyliner 200p but an unexpected trip to the vets with the hounds put pay to that :(

All going well the bank balance will have recovered sufficiently to allow me to order it in a week or so, then I'll just have to start praying for clear skies!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Dreadz,

Welcome to the South Wales group. We're all hoping for some clear weather soon. It will change,

and hopefully before the super nova fizzles out. If you can, with or without a scope, try and make

it up to the next, or one of the Blaenavon meets; Matt should be scheduling one sometime soon.

Edit: Cheers.  :cool:

Thanks both. Would be great to come to Blaenavon. My brother in law is keen to get involved in astronomy too (he's just about to start OU course in physics with astrophysics) so am trying to persuade him to go to the star party in the botanical gardens in February seeing as its only half hour drive from us. I'll keep an eye out for the next meet and hopefull come along :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Had a blackout here tonight. It's the first time I've seen the village dark, and quite refreshing ;  yeah, I could live without the street lights. My Wife lit one of our vintage oil lamps while I enjoyed my  :coffee2: on the doorstep.   :smile:  It was short lived though, the 21st century was back on line a few minutes later.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came in from our soggy garden. What a great night in my neck of the woods too Pete, still is at the moment. Best night I can recall at home in the past several years.  At almost 9 pm exactly, I saw what appeared to be a satelite pass through my field of view between Jupiter and Europa. Saw a couple of meteors this evening also, but heading in the opposite direction.  Tried to locate the SN, but couldn't even see M81.

I've got my inspiration back, and hope there will be an improvement in the forecast for tomorrow. Could use a night like tonight up at the Blaenavon site for sure.

Edit: Think clear skies !

Crystal clear skies here too. I've just got in after a 5 hour stretch in the obsy although admittedly the first hour and a half was spent working out how to download new firmware onto the NexStar+ handset after it failed on me as soon as I started!! Superb views of Jupiter and the Orion Neb. Managed to catch the SN again although it was much harder to see than earliier in the week. I hooked up the DSLR and managed to capture some decent (beginner level) single frame images of of M82 and the SN followed by a few of the Pinwheel Galaxy. Who says you can't do AP on an Alt/Az mount huh?!?

Then before packing up I spent 10 mins on Mars although it was a still a bit too low in the sky to make out any detail. Too tired to hang around for Saturn to clear the roof tops tonight though...

Best night of astronomy I've had in a long while.

What a great night last night was - was back in fairly early around 10.30 but that was still 3 hours of uninterrupted viewing - no wind to speak of and another positive for me was the patio base I put down at the far end of the garden is now giving me views to the South so was able to observe Orion for the first time from out the back  in complete solitude rather than trying to mask the street lights in the front garden- in fact although I can't see to the horizon in any direction the only direction I now really struggle with is East due to the light pollution in that direction.

Didn't see anything new last night but was just a real pleasure to be out with maps and IPad to help and just take time out to observe - hopefully we can get a few more shots through March and get out to Blaenavon to catch up with everyone before the season ends for me. Fingers crossed for you guys tonight.

Managed to capture this image of the SN on Friday night from my garden. Not really good enough to post in the Imaging section but thought I'd at least share with you guys. Taken with my DSLR hooked up to the CPC1100 on Alt/Az fork fount mount.

gallery_21020_2964_1396967.jpg

good evening, I have just recently purchased a nexstar 8se as a first scope and have had some great views of Jupiter and almost blinded myself looking at the full moon without a filter... lesson learnt there! would be very keen to hear of any good "dark" sites or meets around the Aberdare / Heads of the valleys / Brecon area to enjoy the scope and possible get some good pointers as to using it effectively?

Thanks,

Karl

good evening, I have just recently purchased a nexstar 8se as a first scope and have had some great views of Jupiter and almost blinded myself looking at the full moon without a filter... lesson learnt there! would be very keen to hear of any good "dark" sites or meets around the Aberdare / Heads of the valleys / Brecon area to enjoy the scope and possible get some good pointers as to using it effectively?

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl,

Welcome to the South Wales Group !   :smiley:

When looking at the full Moon, turn on an outside light near by your viewing spot; it makes it easier on the eyes when viewing with out a filter.

Edit: I just posted a short notice Observing Meet for our dark sky site, your welcome to join us. Check the thread for proposed date and location coordinates.

Welcome Karl.

As mike has said we have a meeting usually once a month at the Hunters Graveyard location above Blaenavon. (wheather permitting which it has not this year :))

Theres a meet planned for next Saturday so as Mike says have a look at the link for the exact location.

A good land mark it is right next to the Radio Aerials On the B 4246 Out of Blaenavon towards Abergeveny

Google maps 51.790356,-3.069613 the Green Arrow

Sorry valley man, just this minute noticed your reply. I have seen the post about the meet and provided I don't have to go away for work I hope to be there! Would be good to let the nexstar loose properly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived