Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Busy day for me too Tony.  I'm getting prepared to strengthen the rafter system supporting the existing roof on our future home.

Once that's done, I can get the steel framework installed, and then start removing the back wall of the house; piece of cake, lol.

Took my off axis solar filter out of its protective bag for the first time, put it up to the ceiling light for a look,

and guess what ............. its toast.    :angry7:

The glass looks to have several pinholes in the coatings ? ? ?

Perhaps I can remove it from the holder and replace it with some Baader solar film until I can get a replacement ?

Edit: Better check the finder filter while I'm at it.

post-21902-0-39007300-1389306103_thumb.j

Agree with you Dave, it's not worth the risk. The scope and accessories are 40+ years old, but still being made. I'm going to call the parent company to see what my options are, perhaps the filter can be recoated; there do not appear to be any scratches on either of the surfaces.

post-21902-0-73114200-1389354361_thumb.j

Today's Adventure............

While looking on line for good deals on tools & equipment, I saw a multi function ladder that looked interesting.

When I clicked on to other items for sale by seller, it jumped out at me :shocked: ; "LARGE SOLID BRASS TELESCOPE WITH TRIPOD".

Its only about twenty miles away, so I called the seller, he said " its big ".  Well, the adrenalin is pumping, is it a Clark ?, a Mogey ?, a Brashere ?, or another vintage jewel ? 

I'm on my way !

Although it had some patina, it turned out to be one of those 2" reproduction scopes.   :crybaby2:

There were no photos, and I could have asked more questions while on the phone, but I didn't want to appear too anxious. Still, I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt;  you never know what you might stumble upon.  

Rhys, Tony,  at least I didn't fall into any (you know what), today that is.   :grin:  

Not that anyone would be interested, but its posted on Gumtree (Wales) for £90

thas a real shame mike,    obviously his BIG is different to ours...... maybe you should of shown him matts scope.... haha    

maybe next time tho

Hi Gaz,

The owner was a nice guy, but wasn't into astronomy, and just had some miscellaneous stuff for sale.

No chance yet Mike.flipping cloudsevery where<br />

<br />

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk<br />

<br />

Yeah Steve, and my neighbours are going to have to take the blame for the   :clouds1:  this time.

They bought a Star and had it registered in my name on my :lipsrsealed:  ___ th birthday. 

Nice image Helen.  :smile:

The clouds parted for about an hour, but covered the north end of the dipper. 

Skies were clear to the South but Jupiter and its moons looked a bit like M104 's sombrero through the finder ?

Then I noticed the telephone wire overhead, lol.

I've imaged it, does that count???  Last night before the clouds rolled in

attachicon.gifsupernova m81 with big arrow.jpg

Helen

well done Helen, have to say I'm feeling a little nervous amount actually being able to observe the event in just an 8 inch scope.fingers crossed I'll be able to sneak a peak in some of the bigger artillery at blaenavon on the weekend.

well done Helen, have to say I'm feeling a little nervous amount actually being able to observe the event in just an 8 inch scope.fingers crossed I'll be able to sneak a peak in some of the bigger artillery at blaenavon on the weekend.

I had a go through the C11 from my back garden on Wednesday but couldnt see a thing. If Saturday goes ahead it'll be one of the first things I look for!

Archived