NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your observing location view....here's mine!

Brent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to remember that such views don't come without a price...

It's only in the last six months we've had a local Indian restaurant, and there's no local pizza house, delivery or otherwise. For years we've only had a chippy and a Chinese, and both of those are more than a couple of miles away. The nearest decent supermarket is more than ten miles away, fuel costs four or five pence a litre more than the local town, the nearest pub is probably an hour's walk away. When it snowed last December, we were stuck at home for five or six days (and I really do mean stuck -- the only vehicles moving were tractors) and most people can't get a fast enough internet connection to use, say, iPlayer. Generally, being able to get a signal on your mobile phone is the exception rather than the rule.

Now, as it happens, I still leave the house every morning when I feed the animals, look at the view and even after seven years am still struck by what an amazing place I live, but there are an awful lot of people who, when faced with the reality, suddenly realise they're not quite as desperate to move as they thought :D

James

I second everything JamesF has just said ...... and try having a 14 year old daughter who seems to think that your sole reason for existing is to ferry her and her friends to and from town which is a 15 mile round trip down the lanes several times a day.

I'm not moaning though - here's a view of my East to South, which I think makes it all worth while.

The nearest pub is 2 miles away on top of the hill roughly behind the scope - a lovely stroll off road all the way there - an interesting Ray Mears style survival experience getting home in the dark after a few refreshments.

Pizza delivery? What's pizza delivery??

post-19045-133877633521_thumb.jpg

My back view opposite james cook hospital pitch black on night park dark call this area :D park end. viewing south to west middlesbrough.

stargazing_cliff-albums-viewing-obervation-windows-picture12338-where-i-mainly-do-my-viewing-obervations-me-back-also-have-massive-garden-20-meters-long-views-back-james-cook-hospital-usually-see-helicopters-flying-see-few-lights-do-light-pollution-skies-when-cloudy-but-clear-night-pitch-black-thats-why-they-call-park-dark-where-live-live-beck-area-no-street-lightings-so-lucky.jpg

My side view not too bad get street lighting like nice view of rosebery topping on daylight.

stargazing_cliff-albums-viewing-obervation-windows-picture12337-side-view-views-not-too-bad-see-roseberry-topping-but-night-lamp-posts-street-lighting-bright.jpg

Front view not very good viewing at all :p

stargazing_cliff-albums-viewing-obervation-windows-picture12336-front-view-you-can-see-not-very-good-street-lighting-right-next-me-house-also-live-next-buss-shelter-shines-also-not-good-viewing-front.jpg

mainly use back to view skies.

Views to the N and to the SSE.

Pine trees to the east and west block some views but also take care of house and street lights, could be worse. The north view is taken from basically where I set my gear up on the back deck (though not in those conditions anymore!!!!).

post-27350-133877633522_thumb.jpg

post-27350-133877633525_thumb.jpg

This thread is starting to hurt, so many wonderful places from which to see the night sky.
This should make you feel better then. Here's the back yard where I have my imaging setup. There's an annoying fluorescent street lamp that illuminates the whole garden. To the south there are industrial greenhouses with tungsten lights on all night. And to the North and East is Schiphol airport.

post-16194-133877633567_thumb.jpg

post-16194-133877633574_thumb.jpg

Here's my restricted view...

Looking South

_D3H2284.jpg

Looking West

_D3H2285.jpg

Looking North

_D3H2286.jpg

No point in looking East, that's the house. Generally South to South-West and straight up is all I have clear :D

Just North of the greenhouse is a patch of soil I'll be turning into a patio. That will at least give me a view South-East.

Here's my view:

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture6115-panorama-pic-du-midi-observatory-french-pyrenees-august-2010.jpg

Oh no. Sorry. That's the view from the Pic du Midi observatory in the Pyrenees. THIS is the view from my obsy, with the ubiquitous trampoline in the foreground.

lukebl-albums-luke-s-images-picture5277-stellarium-landscape2.jpg

I use a dark site in the New Forest with a group of SGL members. Skies are excellent, horizons pretty good on the whole. It's a lot of fun once a month.

Otherwise it's the backgarden, which would be great except for the light pollution :D

Photo 1 - dob in the garden - really bad LP to the west, bad to the south, quite good to the east and north :p

Photo 2 - SCAG obs night at Turf Hill, New Forest

Photo 3 - another SCAG night

Photo 4 - back garden with lots of trees, i like trees which doesn't go hand in hand with the hobby but fortunately the horizon is clear for planetary stuff - which is all i really do from the garden

post-12650-133877633583_thumb.jpg

post-12650-13387763359_thumb.jpg

post-12650-133877633596_thumb.jpg

post-12650-133877633602_thumb.jpg

I second everything JamesF has just said ...... and try having a 14 year old daughter who seems to think that your sole reason for existing is to ferry her and her friends to and from town which is a 15 mile round trip down the lanes several times a day.

Our two are a little younger than that, but catching up fast... I've decided the best way to handle it is to make here the place where all their friends want to come. Then it's someone else's problem :D

James

well here is a little pic of my back door , looking south over loudoun hill in ayrshire , DSC03581_edited.JPG .. were about 900 ft up , skys are exellent , although we do get a little sky glow from glasgow to the north as the city is 20 miles away .

Some lovely locations. Doesn't ANYONE live somewhere rubbish, like me?

Ye me :p, 4 mile's from city centre Manchester, well getting cheesed off after looking at some of them views , i think SGL 7 should be at Adamski's place :D.

to the North and East is Schiphol airport.

Ouch! I thought I had it bad with Edinburgh to the south, that is tiny in comparison.

I'm not joining in this thread as I have a rubbish view, I am jealous of all you lucky people :D

...I'm not joining in this thread as I have a rubbish view, I am jealous of all you lucky people :D

That may be true, but you still manage to take some cracking images despite that!

cheers Si w, it's about a 1 minute walk to the rest of the moor. Anyone is aloud to camp whenever they feel like it. So long as you don't mind sheep, ponies and the odd cow snuffling about. Someone from the area has suggested organising a star party down here, there are hundreds of good spots to choose from.

Apologies for the terrible stitch, it's the first time I have done one.

This is my view of the South which was the view I used mainly for Orion, Jupiter and Saturn. It comes fully equipped with 2 'orrible orange street lights, a teenager who leaves a second floor light on until 3 am and stares at me and is directly in a busy flight path for the airport next door. The horizon is about level with the top of the hedge.

Still it's better than the non existent views of the east or west. The other end of our yard to the North is slightly better but I rarely use that area.

post-21042-133877633672_thumb.jpg

You have to remember that such views don't come without a price...

It's only in the last six months we've had a local Indian restaurant, and there's no local pizza house, delivery or otherwise. For years we've only had a chippy and a Chinese, and both of those are more than a couple of miles away. The nearest decent supermarket is more than ten miles away, fuel costs four or five pence a litre more than the local town, the nearest pub is probably an hour's walk away. When it snowed last December, we were stuck at home for five or six days (and I really do mean stuck -- the only vehicles moving were tractors) and most people can't get a fast enough internet connection to use, say, iPlayer. Generally, being able to get a signal on your mobile phone is the exception rather than the rule.

Now, as it happens, I still leave the house every morning when I feed the animals, look at the view and even after seven years am still struck by what an amazing place I live, but there are an awful lot of people who, when faced with the reality, suddenly realise they're not quite as desperate to move as they thought :)

James

Yep isolation comes at a price- the last people to live in our house left because of lack of human contact. We are faced with a 52 mile round trip to the nearest Tesco and senior school. The nearest full size hospital, Shrewsbury is 104 miles return trip- not good if you need regular treatment. In the winter we are abandonded by the Council- they don't even attempt to clear the road of snow- we just have a permanent fold down sign saying HEAVY SNOW-ROAD CLOSED- for over a month this year (4x4 a necessity up here) . Mobile phone signal ha, ha- no chance! Broadband internet.....only slowband via expensive satelite link. Nearest pub...less than a mile- can mountain bike it in under 10 mins.

But is it worth it? Yes.

Dscf0990-1.jpg

I just wish I knew how to put photos on this forum?? Anyway I live 1000ft up the side of a mountain, nearest neighbour is about quarter of a mile away and the nearest 'street light' was shot out by a drunken farmer a couple of weeks ago. So it's good and dark out here. All I need is my new scope to arrive.........sigh.

I'm going to have to move.

I like where I live and my garden has a good view east with a moderate LP....

But, Steve1962, I'm coming to live with you, that view and the hike across fields to the pub....perfect.

I'm going to have to move.

I like where I live and my garden has a good view east with a moderate LP....

But, Steve1962, I'm coming to live with you, that view and the hike across fields to the pub....perfect.

Awww, shame... Did you not hear on the news the other night? Somerset is full.

:)

James

Archived