NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best sky atlas

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, your original choice. I like the size, which is great in the dark. I don't have the laminated one but the paper one is going strong after about 13 years and it sees a lot of use. I find Cambridge and Norton's too small for my eyes but others manage.

SkyAtlas 2000 also has a useful Telrad acetate overlay if you use a Telrad.

Olly

I have used a number of star atlases over the years and I think that the Pocket Star Atlas gets my vote.

As your knowledge improves and you want a more detailed atlas, especially for star hopping, then you might consider Uranometria 2000. Yes its expensive but rather good.

Mark

Wayne, I also use the Pocket Sky Atlas, but have you additionally thought about planetarium software - Stellarium and Cartes Du Ciel are free - and if you have a smartphone there are apps such as Google SkyMap and SkEye that will help you identify or find what you are looking at.

Allan

The Observer's Sky Atlas: With 50 Star Charts

by Erich Karkoschka

easy to use and fits in outside coat pocket get the third edition i only use the second version its fine. the third edition has loads of B/W images as well

well worth the money

Grahame

I have quite a few, but rarely use them now, due to CdC having everything I would want in a printed star atlas, and more.

If I was going to go for a printed one, I would go for the tri-atlas on JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy - you can select the scale/faintness that best suits your equipment, printing it out as you go along, gradually building up the entire sky (or as much of it as you can see from your location:D)

HTH

I use the Pocket Sky Atlas too but you can always print your own ......

Free Mag 7 Star Charts - Article

or this one if you have enough paper ....

8.5 Magnitude Star Atlas

Mike

Mike, that's a good idea.. print your own! That's what I've done with a few Sky Charts, actually makes them quite versatile as you can make notes on them should you wish, which I tend not to on books :)

Are computer programs out of the question? If not, I use the free program Stellarium, that's a kind of atlas isn't it?

And I do like the idea of printing the info you want, specially because you can write on it, and adapt the size to your needs. But in the long run, printing is more expensive, at least with my printer it is.

Hi Wayne

I have the laminated version of the "sky Atlas 2000" and wouldn't be without it.

The large format is extremely useful in the dark.

I particularly like the fact that I can mark it with a china graph pencil to show fields of view of a finder and trace star hopping routes around the sky straight onto the map.

Then it is simply wiped off at the end of the night.

Plus being a clumsy oaf if any tea or coffee is spilled on it that too can be wiped off.

Regards Steve

hi two books i could not do with out and would suite both, starter and hardcore users.

Philip's Night Sky Atlas: The Moon, Planets, Stars and Deep Sky Objects: Amazon.co.uk: Robin Scagell: Books

The Cambridge Star Atlas: Amazon.co.uk: Wil Tirion: Books

i just took both books to a printing shop on the high street they fabloned all the pages and put them in a new ringbinder folder both books for 12 quid

I use the triatlas from from JR's website (link above) very detailed and in a hobby that can be rather expensive its nice to get something for free (except the ink of course) the only down side is it is a little on the large side

For me, your original choice. I like the size, which is great in the dark. I don't have the laminated one but the paper one is going strong after about 13 years and it sees a lot of use. I find Cambridge and Norton's too small for my eyes but others manage.

SkyAtlas 2000 also has a useful Telrad acetate overlay if you use a Telrad.

Olly

Another vote for SkyAtlas 2000. It's a nice size provided you have a small table near your scope- I've been using a non laminated one since 1990 and it's still good (apart fom my pencil notes about nebulae I 'discovered' with film). It lists stars down to mag 8 and many DSOs. My 1990 edition might be a little dated as I found even then there were many faint emmision nebula photographable but not listed. With CCD cameras it's possible to pick up many more objects than are listed.

It's on special at Amazon at the mo £9.72 !!

Time to get myself one as well.

This thread prompted me to head over to amazon too. will have to pick up a copy me thinks

Archived