NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at Andromeda Galaxy

Finally having a scope with a field of view wide enough to image the Andromeda Galaxy, this is our first result. It has been shot over the last two nights and is lacking data yet- we also intend to grab some ha to bring out the h2 regions. It is a combination of 14 x 10 minutes luminance and 6 x 10 minutes each in rgb, taken with the Atik 460EX through the Tak FSQ85, processed in Pixinsight. We also used some short exposures to help tackle the core. We have some way to go with this target still, but we are quite pleased with our initial result considering the short run used.

All comments welcome.

Dave and Zoe

post-26103-0-19089300-1441642444_thumb.p

• 1 month later...

I find it difficult to be critical of other work if I can't produce better myself!- that's a lovely picture- loads of detail. However you appear to have a few gradients which you could look at removing. That would make a real substantial difference as the data you have is very strong. I love M31 I took a picture of the core which came out well. I struggle with the light pollution from my location but I'm going to work at it particularly as I now have both the Atik 11000 & the RASA. What I don't have is good weather! 

That's very good, isn't it. It has a natural look and yet is rich in fine detail. You're finding structures well into the core without this looking forced.

You do have an issue along the bottom, though. There's a green band along the bottom left and, above that, a magenta strip right across. Could this be generated in DBE? Are you very careful to crop out all edge artefacts before applying it? This is vital. Or maybe you need to up the 'Tolerance' value in DBE?

Olly

Archived