Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sydney newb checking in

dru

Hey there team.

Saw this crazy bright light low in the sky last week. Thought it was a plane heading to Mascot airport. But it wasn't moving. Plenty of searches followed. Wow! It's an astronomical event. How cool is that, hey? The current conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. Just wow. With the unaided eye too.

Found a sky app. Crazy, now I can see Saturn too. Who'd-a-thunk-it. (Well you guys I guess)

Anyway, scope is ordered, I'm guessing I'll need some binoculars too, but I'm hoping the scope will pack in the Jeep. That way weekends behind the black stump, out in the bush, will have stuff to do at night time. That isn't beer or Bundy Rum. I like stuff. Hoping that the trails of the Blue Mountains and Central Tablelands are as dark as I think they are.

Anyway, "hi". No doubt the quality of the neighbourhood just dropped a notch, knowledge base definitely has. But I'm looking forward to this journey!

:-)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dru,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. Aslo download a planetarium program for your pc/laptop/, lots out there but try Stellarium, its great and free. To be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  . Also a couple of books to guide you round the sky 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'.

Hi Dru,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. Aslo download a planetarium program for your pc/laptop/, lots out there but try Stellarium, its great and free. To be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/  . Also a couple of books to guide you round the sky 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'.

Sounds like Orion must be close to "the third stubby". ;-)

G'day Dru, and  a warm welcome to the SGL community.

You''ll  enjoy the company of some great folks here, and all willing to  help in any way they can.

You seem a  very enthusiastic guy, but are there any other kind in Australia?

We have one or two of your Countrymen already encamped, and I'm sure you will find them

as you make your way here.

Hope you settle in, and good luck with acquiring your telescope, lots of

great objects to observe in those superb Southern  Hemisphere skies.

Ron.

Archived