Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The best I can do saturn

robindurant

I'm finding Saturn tough at the moment too. My first attempt got me some acceptable images, all things considered, and I reckon if I go back to the original avis now I could probably process them much better.

Since then though I've been completely unable to get anywhere near the same image stability and accuracy of focus, which is particularly frustrating given that I now probably have a better understanding of what I should be doing in the first place :icon_eek:

James

I think that's a belter Robin- better than I've been getting certainly over the last couple of weeks. Spent ages and Gb's last night thinking the data would be reasonable- in the bin !

You've caught some really nice detail in there.:D

Hi Helen

Nice to hear from you.

I think that there is a lot of moisture in the air at the moment causing this atmospheric pollution. It looks good but look at the twinkling stars !

Helen, my camera is a DFK 31, maybe thats what you meant to type.

I bought this camera months ago and out of the box it gave me bright red images. I emailed Imaging Source and fair to them they replied withing hours. A Stephan told me to switch off the auto "white balance" and set the two sliders ( 1 red 1 blue) to 45 each. I have experimented with these two sliders and found the best settings to be Blue 45 and Red 50. Keep the Saturation at default and try that. Thats for me. you may need slightly other settings.

Another thing I found to help is to reduce the FPS. On my camera it has 15 - 7 1/2 I took my Saturn at 7 1/2 FPS, slow but effective. It has a biggish chip so I think it takes longer to download each frame

Your camera also may be Mono, mine is colour. Mono has higher FPS settings, I think 60-30-15 etc

I hope this info helps and if you need more please PM me.

Robin

Many thanks Robin. Its good to see you posting (and getting your pictures published too!!). I'll give those settings a go with my colour cam (I've got a colour DBK 21). If I get close to your result I'll be really pleased!

Best wishes

Helen

Hi again

I have looked up your camera and it says 60 fps so you can reduce this easy without losing too many frames. On mine I took 3 mins @ 7.5 fps which is 1350 frames and stacked 300 Registax 90% min quality at 15 fps you would get 2700 which is plenty and a better result.

Let us see the result.

Robin

A good image Robin - there are plenty of times when the seeing just won't cooperate, no matter where in the world you live.....

I've literally had months on end where all you see are fuzzy images that can't be focused properly and appearance, let alone detail is impossible to discern..!:rolleyes::hello2:

I packed everything up after having my scope setup from last Friday till Thursday - none of the nights was worthwhie imaging in.....and the weather patterns were supposedly meant to be good!

Planetary imaging really is a waiting game....!:D

Archived