Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 21 March-vgood seeing+new storm in South

johnh

SPX350 F34.6, PGRFlea3, Astrodon filters+IR742nm.

Seeing was vgood near culmination but faded there after, first time I got a diffraction ring around Spica when collimating so was delighted. Had cloud disrupting things but got 3 good RGB sets 1245/1310/1340hrs UT but only 1 good IR in first set.

Storm patch in the South can be seen in Red/R RGB gif's and storm track in North is opposite side to Head of storm. New storm in South has been around for several weeks but never got it before.

Would love to get a moon transit next.

Thanks for looking, John.

post-15219-133877550102_thumb.png

post-15219-133877550119_thumb.png

post-15219-13387755013_thumb.gif

post-15219-133877550133_thumb.gif

post-15219-133877550137_thumb.png

Superb work!

first time I got a diffraction ring

Yeah, I've never seen anything like a diffraction ring with my C11 & only a trace with 8". I used to see complete diffraction patterns with 6" fairly regularly when I was in Derby ... some sites just seem to have bad seeing ...

Simply stunning images :hello2:

People say you can't get one scope for all tasks, but that SPX350 comes pretty damn close! I'm consistently impressed by your work :hello2:

EDIT: I think the second image gives the best detail..

Wow the storm detail, is just so complex, i cant belive my eyes sometimes. saturn was once regarded as fairly lame compared to jupiter. thats all completely changed. Your resolution on these cloud storms is just breathtakling. Its a real treat to be able to the storms in so much high resolution. At this resolution you must be able to determine shape differences, that are occuring over time. Superb stuff John. ive never seen a spot in the south before, another first for me. If i get a chance hope i can catch it.

Thanks Everyone, it was a good night up till culmination and will get a chance tonight but it is so humid and warm outside like a sauna, hope my mirrors don't mist up.

The SPX350 has a slightly oversized secondary for medium sensor deep space but it is still only 23% obstruction so it can do most things apart from Solar, big scopes in good seeing are a joy.

Most people with larger scopes Brian have never seen an Airy disc like you say but smaller scopes esp refractors do show this easily so was treat to see for me.

John.

STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!!! i went out last night and saw saturn but not as big as that my telescope is only a 5" (130 mm ) took several pictures of the moon hope they come out as its my first go if not dont know what to do used a canon eos 650 black and white goin to take three weeks to develop as ive only got it in 35mm mode can anyone give me some advice used the bulb setting on the camera could see the moon on my wide angled lens but when i took it out to put the camera one in couldn't see anythin is that normal or have i totally messed up many thanx jimmy merseyside

John these are amazingly good,

main storm not as bright,

colours and detail is superb, gifs really show storms better

like the last b+w shot aswell how it shows extra banding on planet esp last band at North pole.

Whenever u post i always go check price of this scope at OO,

possible think it is unbeatable for price and great value, noticed u got mention on OO website aswell, congrats long overdue i think :hello2:

I'm sure you'll get transit soon aswell, have only ever seen 1 pic of transit on Saturn

was recent Tethys and Shadow transit and is on Imaging Sources website Gallery.

thx for posting

James

Archived