Hello

JM1311

Hi

Astronomy had always fascinated me as a kid, however as interests at that age come and go my telescope after a few years eventually got packed away in the loft, and there it sat for about 16 years!

My interest in astronomy is strongly growing again, and I have been thinking about a new telescope for quite a while now, however after I heard that the moon would be passing by close last night I decided to get my old telescope back out.

Only had one lens and a 2x barlow lens which were clear enough to look through, several missing pieces and the mount had certainly seen better days-with huge amounts of play/movement, but we still managed to have a great look at the moon, and also the rings of saturn! a real WOW moment, brought back lots of memories.

Last night changed my opinions in what I am after from a telescope, I was looking for a 5" GO-TO mount/drive, but now I think i'll be swaying towards a 8" Reflector scope (for pretty much the same price) as it was really rewarding to find it yourself.

Plenty of decisions to make.

JM1311:icon_salut:

Welcome JM, with lots of scopes it can be confusing to newcomers but Newts are perfect as they offer good sized standard optics and are flexible for visuals. Don't rush into purchases and seek opinions here as there is plenty of adice to get you matched up with the right scope.

John.

Hi JM and welcome to the forum.

Well there is certainly plenty of choice out their regarding kit. I think your choice of an 8" scope will most definitely set you up in the right direction as you will have enough aperture there to resolve some details.

Glad you could join us and clear skies!

James

Archived