SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL6 - How are you going to use the dark skies?

Helen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to get my auto guiding system system working properly so I can take subs longer than 2.5 mins with the SW MN190. I may require some help with this.

I would also like to bring the 10 inch Newt, but would have to hire a van to get all my gear in!

Hoping to do some widefield shots using my astrotrac. Also would like to image one or 2 circumpolar targets since these are difficult to get from my obsy. Thinking about M82 close up with plenty of Ha for the starburst. Then, if lucky M108 or M109.

Will be observing with my ED120 and possibly some early morning lunar imaging if still awake.

And...very important, I want to have chance to wander around and see what everyone else is up to

:(;)

That's OK, I'll be in your tent guzzling the apple juice :p

What do you think i will be sitting on whilst lobbing those suggestions :D:p:p

Still could be worse , i could always pop round for a chat and play with the Dewshield :):evil6::o

There are a number of DSOs that I would like to obtain a better view or see for the first time.

Provisional list - Antennae galaxies and M83 - seen before but want a better view. NGC3621 Frame galaxy in Hydra - very low in the south at Lucksall about 11.00pm (Hidden Treasurers object - not seen). Herschel 400 objects around 12h.00' RA - seen some but missing lots. Then Saturn - I want to try out my new Nagler 3-6 Zoom.

Finally, I am hoping to get a view through a larger Dob than my 10" - 12"/14" hopefully.

Mark

How are you going to use the dark skies is a very good point. It is very easy to get so into the fact that you are going to a star party only to arrive and when (please please) the skies clear you suddenly wonder what to actually point your 'scope at.

Of course the usual suspects are always worth a look but it is possible to get so much more out of the event with just a little planning and use of some planetarium software. Don't forget to take your current issues of the astronomy mags as well.

Hehe, just a thought, a good auroral display would be a mixed blessing!

I've really enjoyed reading how others plan on using the dark skies but unfortunately most of it reads to me like: "I hope my Dilithium Crystals align with my Flux Capacitor"!! I really wish I knew what you were all talking about! :eek:

For me I suppose I just want to see more!

With the few chances I've had to use my goto it's pointed me in all the right directions but with all the light pollution I've eventually decided that the object I'm supposed to be looking at must be that tiny grey smudge in the eyepiece. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I need someone to come over and say "ere mate you goto's way off there's not even anything in view" after I've spent ages proudly looking at an imaginary object. :)

I've really enjoyed reading how others plan on using the dark skies but unfortunately most of it reads to me like: "I hope my Dilithium Crystals align with my Flux Capacitor"!! I really wish I knew what you were all talking about! :)

For me I suppose I just want to see more!

With the few chances I've had to use my goto it's pointed me in all the right directions but with all the light pollution I've eventually decided that the object I'm supposed to be looking at must be that tiny grey smudge in the eyepiece. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I need someone to come over and say "ere mate you goto's way off there's not even anything in view" after I've spent ages proudly looking at an imaginary object. :)

Hi Dean,

I know what you mean. My kit is sat looking very professional and prepared. When the time comes for the clouds to clear, I am not even sure if I will get it to see anything. However, I have had some good lessons from S.A.M. - Peter, so the rest has to be down to me :eek:

Regards

Chris

What happened to all your stuff Russ?

Your always welcome to use mine mate, as you know i always seem to set up and spend the whole night talking and not observing.

Hmmm, methinks with a name like paulbeer there won't be too much talking :rolleyes:

Best regards

Chris

Lol believe it or not im Tea total:)

Hi Paul,

Yes that is funny. I guess Beer IS your last name?

I know a Sally and Simon Beer used to live in my village. Got to be a rare name like mine Grew. We can confirm that every one of us is related and are mentioned in the doomsday book as LeGrew. The rest of names like Grew, Grue etc all stem from that one!

Best regards

Chris

That 'tiny grey smudge' is probably the target. Welcome to the world of amateur observing (a.k.a. staring at tiny grey smudges). :rolleyes:

I've finally cracked it. Just change 'little Brown Job' or 'LBJ' from birdwatching to 'LGJ' or 'Little Grey Job.' :eek::D:D

Just remembered why I gave up birdwatching. Please tell me this hobby isn't the same.....

Archived