Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL6 - How are you going to use the dark skies?

Helen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to see some spiral arms on a galaxy, any galaxy will do!! I haven't managed that at home yet!

Me too :)

I managed to see the lovely spiral shape of M51 with a 12" dob at the SGL4 party. Last year (SGL5) I peeked at it with a 20" :(

Won't forget that view in a hurry !.

I had a 6" refractor at SGL5 and, while that did not show spiral structure in M51, it was showing much more of the galaxy and it's companion than I can see with that scope from my garden. I might bring the 10" along to SG6 and see how that fares :D

We'll be bringing the AZ4 but that is Harry's and he gets upset when i use his stuff without prior permission. :(

I have the old Astro 3 still. It can't hold much though, a 102 Startravel at the most.

hi Russ

I am collecting a 6" newt on the Thursday for my neighbour's son. you be welcome to use that if it will fit on your mount?

I'd need to take it back Friday pm though (unless we can find someone willing to bring it back north after it's all over?).

I have purposefully not looked at the Virgo Galaxies (not seen any of them) so this will be my main target area as will a better than normal view of M51. other than this I hope to look through and get an idea of the scale of at least one 18-20" dob and meet lots of names!

a messier marathon sounds superb.

Hi Folks,

Sunset on Tuesday 29 March will be about 19:30, so I hope to be finishing dinner and starting to look for double stars. The more malt whiskey you drink the more stars you see. Simples........

Remember keep a clear head for clear skies.

Cheers

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I cant make my mind up what to take:confused: If I take my imaging rig I shall be faffing about imaging and tweaking this and sitting watching phd graph all night.

Then again I would like to take one scope and do visual only, knock off some more galaxies and doubles but then theres saturn so do I take my 4" f15?

Ill no doubt decide the morning I set out when the room left in the car and trailer dictates what I can and cant take:D

Philj

hi Russ

I am collecting a 6" newt on the Thursday for my neighbour's son. you be welcome to use that if it will fit on your mount?

I'd need to take it back Friday pm though (unless we can find someone willing to bring it back north after it's all over?).

Thanks Shane. If the weather looks better than it does at the moment, i'll bring the 150 f5 with the EQ5. Otherwise i'll just bring the 15x70 bins just in case we get a clear spell.

Archived