NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please put my husband right once and for all

MrsR

Has he ever seen a moon rock? I ask because, when you see one, they are so obviously not earth rocks. I read somewhere about the science of faking a moon rock being more expensive and difficult than actually going and getting one for real.

Talitha makes a good point. Prove anything. Prove Napoleon lived. Prove there was a second world war. Even if my grandma told me about their street being bombed, that doesn't prove it any more that Buzz Aldrin talking about the moon landing does.

So, yeah, prove it didn't happen.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This old chestnut seems to come up every so often. I remember a really bad documentary broadcast on the now defunct Bravo channel. It only took them about 5 minutes to bring in Area 51 and all the other conspiracy nonsense and I was tempted to throw my TV out of the window.

One of my favourite websites about this (sadly I can't remember the link) recycled the same old tired arguments and then offered a link to another site which upon inspection suggested that when Armstrong and Aldrin got to the Moon they were being observed by aliens. They tried to warn Houston but sneaky ole NASA (it's always sneaky ole NASA) took advantage of the Earth-Moon time delay and deliberately garbled their message. No apparent irony in any of this as any amount of contradictory conspiracy theories will do even if they are not internally consistent.

Some of you will be aware of the upcoming 2012 Mayan prophecies and of people like Nancy Leider (Planet X) and Richard Hoagland with his 'Face on Mars'.

I guess Buzz Aldrin is too busy to go round and punch them all!

Geoff

the biggest evidence that humans landed on the moon is the retro reflectors that have been left on the moon. Some can say they could of been left at a later date, but that still means humans went on the moon, but just at a later date.

scientists are still recieving data from the laser getting reflected back from the retro reflectors 40+ years later.

Guys I have just sat with my husband watching some of Brian Cox's Universe documentary series about the Sun and he said to me "I don't buy into all that birth of a star stuff" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys I have just sat with my husband watching some of Brian Cox's Universe documentary series abotu the Sun and he said to me "I don't buy into all that birth of a star stuff" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not unknown for hubbies to wind their spouse's up you know :)

Erm no not at all sadly. When I explained it to him he kind of went into a mini denial thing so he realised that he was talking codswallop and couldn't argue to facts I was giving him.

He is in denial now and half heartedly trying to rebunk his earlier statement!

I have told him that he has to leave it me to me to teach our girls science when they are older lol

the biggest evidence that humans landed on the moon is the retro reflectors that have been left on the moon. Some can say they could of been left at a later date, but that still means humans went on the moon, but just at a later date.

scientists are still recieving data from the laser getting reflected back from the retro reflectors 40+ years later.

Yes, as I pointed out on page 1 of this thread and more can be found here:-

APOLLO

Brinders

As someone involved in rockets and spaceflight... this one always winds me up.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but for me the most obvious reasons why the moon landings weren't faked are all down to the Russians.

At the time the Russians would have given anything to discredit the American space program and they, along with many countries who had no vested interest all had the capability to track rockets at least into orbit and track them leaving orbit using radar.

You cannot deny that the Americans put the massive upper stages of a Saturn V rocket into orbit, and that that lunar transfer stage then left orbit on a course towards a lunar rendezvous.

Had the Americans claimed these things and the Russians/others hadn't been able to verify this by radar they'd have let the world know in no uncertain terms to discredit them.

Getting something THAT big into orbit, then achieve escape velocity with it us 90% of the challenge (and cost) involved in a lunar landing. Given that those elements of the project definitely happened and were verified by many countries, it would frankly have been pointless for them to fake the landing itself.

Thinking that anyone still denies mankinds greatest achievement makes me feel somewhat sick and really sad fo the future of our race.

Ben

Assuming that your hubby isn't winding you up for his own amusement :), it might be worth finding out from him whether he has any spiritual beliefs that may be threatened by the reality of astronomical distances, scales and the age of the cosmos.

Because it's possible to be a Christian, Buddhist, Spiritualist, Scientologist, Mormon, etc and still acknowledge the science of how the Cosmos works. A degree of compartmentalization might be required but I know for sure that in a previous life I would have tried not to think too hard about the lives of the stars as a way of subconsciously avoiding the cognitive dissonance (i.e. starting an electrical storm) in my head.

In my experience, those that come to believe in UFO abductions/Illuminate/OneWorldOrder/9-11 Truthers/Faked Moon Landings, etc, usually do so from a strong and unwavering inner conviction and try to sound as plausible as they can and make no claims that can be tested. Rather the rest of us try to approach these claims from a skeptical view as much as possible without a pre-conditioned belief either which way.

It's hard to do astronomy when you believe that the earth, and the entire cosmos is only 6,000 years old.

Just a thought.

What about the parts of Surveyor 3 that the Apollo 12 mission returned to Earth?

As for his views on star evolution...the key word is "believe". Because he doesn't believe it does not mean that it doesn't happen. Confusing personal beliefs with fact is a sure sign of confused thinking.

Some recommended reading for him:

The Demon Haunted World (one of the best books that I have ever read).

Unweaving the Rainbow (Dawkins at his best- explaining how science actually works)

Why People Believe Weird Things (written by Michael Shermer- founder of the Skeptic's Society)

HTH

This old chestnut seems to come up every so often. I remember a really bad documentary broadcast on the now defunct Bravo channel. It only took them about 5 minutes to bring in Area 51 and all the other conspiracy nonsense and I was tempted to throw my TV out of the window.

One of my favourite websites about this (sadly I can't remember the link) recycled the same old tired arguments and then offered a link to another site which upon inspection suggested that when Armstrong and Aldrin got to the Moon they were being observed by aliens. They tried to warn Houston but sneaky ole NASA (it's always sneaky ole NASA) took advantage of the Earth-Moon time delay and deliberately garbled their message. No apparent irony in any of this as any amount of contradictory conspiracy theories will do even if they are not internally consistent.

Some of you will be aware of the upcoming 2012 Mayan prophecies and of people like Nancy Leider (Planet X) and Richard Hoagland with his 'Face on Mars'.

I guess Buzz Aldrin is too busy to go round and punch them all!

Geoff

was the website The Enterprise Mission ? thats been the best crackpot site for years, always cheers me up looking at that :)

It may be a bit ignorant to believe in moon landing conspiracies, but I think it's even more ignorant to mock someone for their beliefs. Far better to understand why it is that they hold those beliefs, and to tackle those issues rather than acting like we're all still in the playground at school.

For my part, I don't doubt that we went to the moon - but quite frankly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if an already highly-pressurised NASA publicity department couldn't resist the temptation to "accidentally" (sic) slip in some impressive earth-based photos that were originally taken for testing purposes.

Witness how only 18 months ago it was that same NASA publicity department that tried to claim the full credit for Anthony Wesley's Jupiter impact discovery. The original NASA Press Release caused such an outcry from the amateur astronomy community that it was hastilly-reworded and re-released, but by then the story was already being reported as a NASA discovery, and many people (including me) felt strongly that their re-release didn't go anywhere near far enough in crediting Wesley. Fortunately, Anthony didn't hide from the press, and the media attention soon revealed that Anthony is an experienced astrophotographer with considerable knowledge of Jupiter.

The "excuse" given by the defenders of the NASA stance, is that they have to justify their enormous funding - and thus should be allowed creative licence to underplay Wesley's part in the discovery.

Dear Mrs R,

I don't believe your husband exists. I have never seen him, only heard about him, and I don't believe what I don't know much about. Moreover, there is this guy on the internet who thinks he doesn't exist either. Don't bother producing any evidence that he is real, because I will know that it is faked evidence. You could produce witnesses, photos, signed documents, even a video of your wedding, but I wont believe it, it just seems too unlikely.

:)

Same thing really in different context.

TJ

PS, my wife thinks it is lucky that the ISS zooming though the sky doesn't bash into any stars.................

Dear Mrs R,

I don't believe your husband exists. I have never seen him, only heard about him, and I don't believe what I don't know much about. Moreover, there is this guy on the internet who thinks he doesn't exist either. Don't bother producing any evidence that he is real, because I will know that it is faked evidence. You could produce witnesses, photos, signed documents, even a video of your wedding, but I wont believe it, it just seems too unlikely.

:)

Same thing really in different context.

TJ

PS, my wife thinks it is lucky that the ISS zooming though the sky doesn't bash into any stars.................

:o

Archived