SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please put my husband right once and for all

MrsR

The people that make the conspiracy's up would have us all believe that our being is nothing more than a computer program (The Matrix) :glasses1:

Well actually, there is a school of thought which suggests it is mathematically probable that we do inhabit some kind of a simulation. Using something like Moore's Law as a premise, the "computing" power available to a highly advanced society (much, much more advanced than we are at the present), would be able to create a convincing "life" simulator, that could conceivably simulate everything from the big bang, to the emergence of matter, stars, planets, life, and the eventual fate of the universe.

In a scenario like that, the depressing problem for our scientists would be that they could only ever hope to discover the "rules" of the simulation we would be existing inside of, and discover absolutely nothing at all about what may exist outside of it. That is to say, that the fundamental laws of nature science is trying to understand are in the end, simply the rules of the simulation.

/is depressed

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only 100% prof is that they left reflectors there that can be used to measure the exact distance from Earth using specialized telescopes and laser bursts. Several non-US agencies, such has ESA use them to measure the distance there. The fact that Russia doesn't support the conspiracy theories also indicates the moon landings did happen. If not they would be the most likely party to discredit them.

Some of this conspiracy theories do present good points and, at some point, I had my doubts about it. So I did my share of research on the subject and now believe they did land. This is regarded as a fact by all non-US scientists I read on the subject and they have no interest in supporting a fake landing.

The reflectors are mentioned here: http://www.esa.int/esaSC/SEMYK9R1VED_index_0.html

"Today, during lunar eclipses, laser-ranging measurements can be made with great accuracy using reflectors placed on the Moon during the Apollo and Lunokhod missions. This has allowed more precise measurement of lunar acceleration and the slowing down in Earth's rotation."

I'm glad someone mentioned Aldrin belting the journalist. I'm so glad he did that!

What your husband believes in is a leak proof conspiracy embracing thousands of NASA emplyees, their arch enemies the Russians, the Australian radio telescope at Siding Springs and the staff at Jodrell Bank, plus countless others. Any one of those involved could have lived a life of luxury forever on the story they had to sell. Yet in the privacy of his own home Bill Clinton can't... well, you know... Too indelicate for the forum to carry on...

Olly

Although the reflectors up there could have been deployed from unmanned landers .. Ive never found a single conspiracy theory that cannot be shown to be what it is .. utter bilge :)

Other countries have/can have Lunar Orbiters so they will no doubt capture images of the landing sites as well,

The evidence is up there and so easily findable if the relevant agency wants to look for it,so why would NASA persist in a lie that could at any moment be blown out of the water (or sea .. ;))

Personally .. Id divorce him and go for a newer more upto date model :glasses1:

JJ..:p

ps - the problem with a conspiracy theory is that the theorist can just retreat into another box.

For instance if you flew a conspiracy theorist to the moon and showed him the lunar module he would just say 'well you must have put it there yesterday', if you showed him material testing data that showed it had been there since 1970 he'd say 'well you faked the data'

Theres nothing you can do to stop the conspiracy theorist because they arent interested in facts only in the theory.

This can escalate into believeing that thousands of people in NASA building the equipment etc could all be made to lie or at least stay silent for many years. All this is apparently possible even though most governments leak like sieves on comparaitively easier things to hide (Watergate for instance).

Dont forget there are visible earhtside artefacts of the moon mission, the Vehicle Assembly Building where they assembled the Saturn Vs is the largest building on earth in volume (or used to be), the unused Saturn Vs are still around, thousands of people saw each launch live (ie actually being there) so you'd have to build and expends millions of dollars worth of rocketry for each launch. The cost would have been in the billions to build all of the artefacts and employ all the people - in fact it would have been cheaper to go to the moon than fake it.

We now know the Soviets had a similar sized launch vehicle called the N1 - do you really think the Soviets would have expended millions of roubles on the project if they knew (or even suspected) NASA were faking it or are we to believe that two completely different political systems both required a fake moon landing.

Signals data from all of the missions would have revealed the fakery and the Russians would have been happy to show it up as fake - a conspiracy theorist of course would suggest the Russians were in on it - all part of a CIA plot no doubt or perhaps inflitration by Aliens or the Majestic 7 or perhaps even the Illuminati

The real danger though of conspiracy theorists is they cloud the real conspiracies and make the stuff thats genuine look like its the nut jobs at it again.

A kind of Greshams Law (bad money drives out good money). Doubtless comnspiracy theorists themselves are part of a conspiracy - a kind of agent provacateur working on behalf of governments themselves - hows that for a conspiracy theory :)

I'm glad someone mentioned Aldrin belting the journalist. I'm so glad he did that!

me too. annoying they go on about him punching the guy for claiming he never landed on the moon. he said this several times with no adverse reaction. the minute he called him a liar and a cheat, the fist hits a split second later. reading his autobiog at the minute I can understand this; as a military man first and last this would be the reaction of any one of them and totally justified.

I think I am right that even the best telescopes can only resolve things about 500m long and to my knowledge the lunar lander is a little smaller than this.

Ask your hubby to list the evidence that he thinks proves the conspiracy, post it here and I will give you links to information that dispels all of them.

He wanted to do that but I didn't want him to offend or insult anyone on here.

Archived