Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please put my husband right once and for all

MrsR

My husband thinks there never was a moon landing and it is the biggest con in the universe and there are good excuses for everything else apart from why you have never been able to see a photo of what is left from the earth when we have telescopes that can see into deep space.

Please can you put him right once and for all as I am sick of trying to explain it all to him with my very limited knoweldge of the subject. I know you guys will be able to tell him straight with the correct scientific explainations.

Many thanks.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not up on all the science, but from what I understand is the large telescopes we have that can see billions of light years see light as opposed to actual matter. For example light a candle on a hill top and you will be able to see the light from the flame but wont be able to see the candel itself

My husband thinks there never was a moon landing and it is the biggest con in the universe and there are good excuses for everything else apart from why you have never been able to see a photo of what is left from the earth when we have telescopes that can see into deep space.

IIRC, I did see an image on here a couple of years ago which did show (albeit without a great deal of detail) one of the lunar landings.

We know how far the Moon is away from us because one of the lunar landings left a mirror. There is a facility in the US which shines a laser onto that mirror so they can determine the distance between us and the moon with great accuracy. Of course, if we hadn't landed on the moon there wouldn't be a mirror....

Tony,,

The lunar landing module is FAR too small to be visible from the Earth, it's like trying to find a house on a map of France. We can see distant galaxies, it's true, but this is mainly because we can keep the cameras open for days to take in all the light possible from these distant sources. Obviously this wouldn't work for the moon, it would turn into a massive overexposed blob (on the photograph, that is :glasses1: )

As has been mentioned by others. The most convincing non-scientific evidence that NASA put men on the moon is political. If the USSR had ever suspected the moon landings were a scam, they would never have stopped telling the rest of the world about it.

I attended a forum with Sir Bernard Lovell a few years ago on the anniversary of the 50th birthday of Jodrell Bank. Although in his 90s he was clearly a very intelligent man in full control of his faculties. He has no truck with the conspiracy theories and was clear that Jodrell Bank had followed Apollo to the Moon and back. He said they were able to follow the signal from take off to the LEM landing and from the telemetry could even tell when Neil Armstrong took manual control from the computers (and yes we did have computers in the 1960s).

Further, it would have been in the Soviet Unions interest to call foul if the US hadn't got there before them (they had their own very expensive manned Lunar programme abandoned when the US got there first).

Since the the NASA Luna Reconnaissance Rover has since photographed the Apollo landing sites and the landing part of the LEM can clearly be seen:-

(NASA - LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites )

Finally, I grew up in the 60s (I was 12 when Apollo 11 landed) and I had no doubt they went.

Brinders

I was also a skeptic on the moon landing, but not any more.

For years I read into the whole conspiracy's theory, but I now know this was just ignorance on my behalf.

After learning and reading more it was clear to me that there was no way the moon landings could be fake.

The people that make the conspiracy's up would have us all believe that our being is nothing more than a computer program (The Matrix) :glasses1:

Thanks for posting but he wont believe that as it is a NASA site!

I don't know where else he expects he'll find pictures of the landing sites that weren't produced by NASA, who else has sent a probe up there with such fine resolution imaging capabilities? :glasses1:

There's a website that explains why you can't see things left behind on the moon somewhere. IIRC you'd need an objective lens or mirror something like 13 miles across to be able to resolve the flag.

Sure, Hubble can see things that are astonishingly far away, but they're also absolutely enormous compared to the entire moon, let alone the stuff we've left behind there.

As my dad used to say though (and I'm sure he must have got it from somewhere else), "there's none so blind as them that don't want to see".

James

Thanks for posting but he wont believe that as it is a NASA site!

That's only part of the evidence for them going. Jodrell Bank followed Apollo's signals to the ground for the length of the journey. The doppler effect, found from the radio signals, told them exactly where the space ship was in relation to the Earth. Further, the Apache Point Observatory Lunar Laser-Ranging Operation uses 4 of the reflectors left by Apollos 11, 14 and 15 and a French made reflector left by the Russian Robotic Lander Luna 21. If Apollo didn't go how did the reflectors get there?

http://physics.ucsd.edu/~tmurphy/apollo/

Brinders

Quite apart from any other argument, so many people would have had to "be in" on the conspiracy as to make the very idea of a sustainably secret conspiracy a complete non-starter from the get-go.

Including everyone involved in the project both at home in the US and abroad. And the worldwide press corps who would have jumped on a story like this. And the entire worldwide scientific community, some of whom would be undoubtedly be unsympathetic to the US or the space program.

And then there are Russians and the Chinese who I am sure would've loved to be able to reveal the whole thing as a hoax.

And we are to believe that an agency of a government that cannot even keep diplomatic messages secret would have been able to manage a conspiracy of this magnitude? Hmmmm ..... purlease .... :glasses1:

I think too many people watched Capricorn One, and believed it was real.

As has been mentioned by others. The most convincing non-scientific evidence that NASA put men on the moon is political. If the USSR had ever suspected the moon landings were a scam, they would never have stopped telling the rest of the world about it.

Was just going to post this word for word. :glasses1:

Archived