SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please put my husband right once and for all

MrsR

MrsR, I should stop worrying if I were you. You know and we know and the evidence is there for all the doubters to pick holes in if they want so just let them. It's not worth the effort. :o

I have spent many a long hour arguing with conspiracy theorists and just resigned myself to them being plain pig headed.

:)............To them all! :(

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As Carol L said :

To quote Charlie Duke:

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?"

You bet, Themos!! :( Here's another good one:

"When you strap a Saturn 5 to your butt, you know you're going somewhere.” (Gene Cernan)

:p

I often wonder how young/old these lunar landing 'sceptics' are. If they were of an intelligible age during the Space Race, they'd realize that there was no way the US could have fabricated the lunar landings.

C'mon, get real... the Soviets had us under a microscope, and if we'd have been stupid enough to try and fake a manned lunar landing (a series of them, in fact), you better believe they would have taken great pleasure in blowing the whistle on us.

But they didn't...

because they couldn't....

because WE DID IT. ;):)

(Anyone who still disagrees might want to contact Buzz for a discussion on the matter. :o)

Well, there is always Phil Plait's discussion:

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Bad TV

and then there is this reference:

Moon landing conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and:

Photos: 8 Moon-Landing Hoax Myths--Busted

Some folks don't want the truth, despite Moon Base Clavius:

Clavius Moon Base - debunking the moon hoax

This one certainly can't be true:

The Great Moon Hoax - NASA Science

Oh, well--my sister and her husband believe that UFOs are visitors from another civilization living under the surface of the earth and leave and enter by a portal at the North Pole. These aliens would never let us go to the moon!

Put it to him simple.

2001, the movie. Look at the quality of that film and compare it to the footage of moon landings. There is now way that the movie industry could produce a fake lunar landing in 1969, possibly in 1999, but with computers no where near as powerful as a modern day pocket calculator, in the late 1960s and early 1970s, it would have been impossible.

Unless they were using the alien technology recovered from the Roswell crash, of course!

What I find fascinating is that back in the 80s nobody would give such theories two seconds of brain time and here we are in 2011 discussing this topic again and again.

Never, ever underestimate the power of stupidity.

Some people just like to think that they have some sort of "special" arcane knowledge that no-one else had. it makes them feel a little bit different and special, and is a small escape from their humdrum existence.

The OP's hubby sounds exactly like someone I know. No matter what evidence is put before him, he WANTS to believe it is all wrong, and a Nashville taxi driver (Bart Sibrel) knows better. I have now moved to the point of asking him which university he did his physics doctorate in (when he rabbits on about radiation in the Van Allen belt), or his orbital mechanics doctorate (when he says it's impossible to rendevous), or his engineering doctorate (when he bans on about rocket engines not leaving craters). Of course, he has none of these qualifications...if he did then he probably wouldn't be a window-cleaner. MrsR...the next time he bangs on about it, just ask him why any sane person should believe his version over someone else's who has spent years studying maths/orbital mechanics/physics/computing....

And that, for me, is the crux of the matter. Belief in these crazy ideas is a form of day-dreaming, to allow people to escape the monotony of day-to-day life, by imagining that they are the holders of secret knowledge. It lets them think that they are a little bit special, and better than the rest of us sheep. There has always been people like that. Let them get on with it, because you will never change their minds (they have to do that for themselves).

Blatvasky was a nutjob, there is no Illuminati, David Icke is another weapons-grade headbanger, Bart Sibrel is a fool, and Bill Kaysing is a weirdo.

The "non-moon landing" lobby have a similar mind-set to "creationists". Instead of allowing facts/evidence to lead them to a conclusion, they start with the conclusion and rearrange the facts to suit their own beliefs. There's no point in arguing with them, because they've all got closed minds, and really, they just don't want to know.

The "non-moon landing" lobby have a similar mind-set to "creationists". Instead of allowing facts/evidence to lead them to a conclusion, they start with the conclusion and rearrange the facts to suit their own beliefs. There's no point in arguing with them, because they've all got closed minds, and really, they just don't want to know.

Not so. As a couple of us here have admitted, we were once "non-moon landing" lobbyists as you put it, but because of our open mindedness, we took to finding out the facts, and realised we were wrong.

So there is always a point to arguing, because it can change minds.

And I take exception to being likened to Creationists...:)

Agreed. however the hoaxers do this all of the time, so let's play by their rules.:o:D

And please show me where my opinions deviate wildly from the facts.......:)

Perhaps if we could establish the facts first, then we could consider where and how your opinions deviate, if indeed, they do!

Perhaps if we could establish the facts first, then we could consider where and how your opinions deviate, if indeed, they do!

Fill your boots here:

David Icke (a weapons-grade headbanger): Link

HP Blatvasky (a nutjob): have a read of Isis Unveiled, and let me know your thoughts...:)

The Illuminati: I refer you to David Icke's site (link above)

Bart Sibrel (a fool,, though one that might be making decent money by his conjectures): Link

Bill Kaysing (weirdo- although, also probably made money from his conjectures): Link

Fill your boots here:

David Icke (a weapons-grade headbanger): Link

HP Blatvasky (a nutjob): have a read of Isis Unveiled, and let me know your thoughts...:)

The Illuminati: I refer you to David Icke's site (link above)

Bart Sibrel (a fool,, though one that might be making decent money by his conjectures): Link

Bill Kaysing (weirdo- although, also probably made money from his conjectures): Link

Which of these are facts? And which just happen to support your theories/opinions?

I can only accept my own personal experiences as fact (even then, there is no 100% guarantee that they are real), and any evidence I may produce, I cannot verify as factual. I have to take what is presented to me at face value and form an opinion, just as you do. Hence my skepticism on all matters.

My husband thinks there never was a moon landing and it is the biggest con in the universe

Hi there,

I don't think any scientific or non-scientific explanation can convince your husband. The nature of hoax believers makes them believe in conspiracy regardless of any rational arguments. The more you try to convince them the more they will believe in conspiracy.

I'd just leave it. Let him blissfully believe we have never landed on the Moon :)

Regards.

Which of these are facts? And which just happen to support your theories/opinions?

I can only accept my own personal experiences as fact (even then, there is no 100% guarantee that they are real), and any evidence I may produce, I cannot verify as factual. I have to take what is presented to me at face value and form an opinion, just as you do. Hence my skepticism on all matters.

Let's leave the philosophical wrangling of what is reality and factual at the door please:icon_salut:

As if the links above are facts or not, then I suggest you have a good read and make you own mind up, and back your decision up with sceptical reasoning, the weight of evidence (only using your own personal experience will really limit you to small horizons IYSWIM) and a healthy dose of common-sense. :)

Hi there,

I don't think any scientific or non-scientific explanation can convince your husband. The nature of hoax believers makes them believe in conspiracy regardless of any rational arguments. The more you try to convince them the more they will believe in conspiracy.

I'd just leave it. Let him blissfully believe we have never landed on the Moon :)

Regards.

Again I must say this is not so.

As a couple of us here have admitted, we were once moon landing sceptics, but because of our open mindedness, we took to finding out the facts, and realised we were wrong.

So MrsR should in no way give up on her husband.

The nature of hoax believers makes them believe in conspiracy regardless of any rational arguments. The more you try to convince them the more they will believe in conspiracy.

Regards.

+1 on that

Hi there,

I'd just leave it. Let him blissfully believe we have never landed on the Moon :(

Regards.

Nah....I know a better way for MrsR.........just deny him any conjugal rights until he bucks his ideas up!:):o:D

To a believer no proof is necessary ...to a non believer no proof is possible.

Also it would cost more to coverup a fake than it would to have sent men to the moon

every employee in nasa...kennedy space centre...and everyone else who took a small part in the project could amount to thousands... and they all just laugh off the conspiracy theories.

He is like some people in my family they believe one branch of science but not another ...they believe everyword the doctor says and yet the doctor gets his info from scientists, yet if scientists say they gone to the moon ...''no they didnt.' ...so to be fair he shouldnt believe a word his doctor is saying either lol

Archived