Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from cloudy Kent

jmfdiver

Hello all

I am yet another newbie. I had a brass telescope for looking at the offshore windmills and passing ships for quite some time. The moon looked pretty good too. But when I saw Jupiter through it I stuck my digital camera to the end and took some pics which I thought were amazing.( I know better now) So borrowed Dads meade ext70 at and although I havent managed to get the autostar working right yet (pilot error) I also had a look at the orion nebula. Went and bought a sw startravel 102 synscan goto,which I now have the right usb adaptor, and a web cam thing, and as its too cloudy have had plenty of reading researching and downloading software to netbook time.

Hope for some clear nights soon

Regards

Jen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum.

It seems like you have already been seduced by the "dark side"(astrophotography) and it seems for many very moorish. Using the webcam will certainly generate results on the planets and the Moon. If you have desires to expand further into space with images of deep sky objects such as nebula and galaxies then the right mount, scope etc will be needed. If this an area you are likely to explore, can I suggest you get a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" that will very clearly put you in the picture (sorry - couldn't help myself :D) as to what is need, why it's needed and how to use it to get the images you want. Its such a useful guide to give you that overview.

Again welcome to this great resource and there is a search facility button at the top of the page to dig up past questions answers - really useful for the finer details regarding a particular scope etc.

Clear skies

James

Thanks

I will look into making every photon count...I can feel some expense coming on :D still one good thing is I have a place in southern spain and the night skies are amazing and dark so I will be taking it all there on holiday at some point...

Jen

Jen can all of us come to Spain too? :):D:D:D

We could ALL set your kit up for you and polar align it. We could ALL help balance your scope to make sure it's just fine. Some of us could help you locate objects whilst the others could hand you the relevant eyepiece as and when you need AND we could even pack all the kit away when you've finished - pleaseeeeeeeeee!! :):D:D I'm even allergic to clouds and so I am in need of recovery - will this make a difference to my application?

James

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the lounge from an exile from Kent now living in Lincs., got here via Essex.

As I am getting my new scope in the next couple of days I should think that the chance of clear skies any time soon are pretty remote :)

All the best,

Alan.

Archived