Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is it about astronomers....

Astro_Baby

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm afraid to say... I'm with Rob on this one... image, but look around whilst imaging... I don't have an obsy, or a quick change room, so I had this special DIY outfit made up... blue Star Trek shirt on the right hand side, and cardy with leather patches down the left... thankfully it get's pretty dark in my garden :D...

Very little of my setup has been bought at full price, most of it is end of line, or second hand, and that's because I can't afford to splash loads of money on my hobbies, so with the things that aren't so important (like, what the dew shields look like) I make them out of what I have lying around, camping mat, although my youngest's feet will now hang over the end :evil1:....

AB What a couple of wonderful posts, just goes to show that us "Nerds" also have a sense of humour and can laugh at ourselves. I too am of the comfort where possible brigade but tend try out the home-made route untill I can afford the 'real' thing. Keep up the good work and without your guides many of us would be lost. AP

Ah, Dob owners, sigh. Did you know about 90% of Dob owners don't know their scope is a Newtonian? I expect most of them observe in wellies, waistcoat and flat cap ;p

I like my goto. I've done my apprenticeship, 40 years of it, learning the sky 'n' stuff. And now I want to be lazy.

Did you know, I can point to and name most things in the sky, even find some 8-10 mag variable stars without a chart. Last night I used my goto to get on the Pleiades... so what. Dobs = meh!

Disclaimer: when you get to my age you not only get lazy, you get grumpy too. You are also always right.

Fantastically funny post Astro_Baby, really well written.

On the technology Luddite front a point-of-view you don't often see mentioned is that some might want a break from technology.

For example; I've spent the past thirty years sat in front of a computer, do I want to do the same in my hobby time? As much as imaging can extend what we see and the satisfaction to be gained from producing a beautiful image I, personally, don't want to spend more time playing with electronic gadgets and computers. I want to see the universe through my own eyes, I want those photons that have travelled for aeons across space to hit my retina, and I want the tactile simplicity of hands-on pointing a 'scope. I want the analog experience :-)

So, not so much Luddite - I just choose to get frustrated the old fashioned way :-)

I am reading this at work (yes I am skiving :evil1:) and am crying with laughter. I havent even been able to read any of the responses just the original post so far. Getting some funny looks from colleagues now though.

:D

I am reading this at work (yes I am skiving :)) and am crying with laughter. I havent even been able to read any of the responses just the original post so far. Getting some funny looks from colleagues now though.

:evil1:

I've been doing the same :p

Great post Astro Baby, brightened up a Friday afternoon no end :D

so gutted i missed this thread last night....wasn't in a very good mood and didn't really feel up to thread thumping....but this wold have done the trick.

AB you are a legend... are you sure yr's not a BBC comedy quiz panelist in your spare time!

Michael

PS....did the bolts on your new EQ6 promt this? :D

I don't see why you can't do both trillion pixel imaging and bog roll powered filters. Given enough spare cash and without causing your own divorce!

I don't know enough yet to try imaging and the subject (BIG scopes and I'm not quite sure what else) needs to be approached by the attrition method in addition to getting out there at every opportunity to prove genuine apeture fever (the opposite of Man Flu and of course the house must be spotless, despite teenagers) and pointing out the good bits when you've found something...

I am an example of the many forms of Nerd. I've machined bit's of model steam engines for other people to exhibit. And liked it. Real Ale is goood. I prefer warm clothes. Listen to either Classical or AC/DC.

But I still jump out of planes at 10,000ft in -15C and other odder things than that. Airsoft is one.

There's a hole in the back garden (ex-pond) full of bricks five feet from a weather proof power source. Kiln! Apologies: thinking about self made mirror...

!

Oh, we have seven cats. All neuters, most rescued.

;_)

A-B

psychotic ( NEVER BUY GOTO OR I WILL COME AND KILL YOU - SATAN DEMANDS IT)

Actually sure this or very similar was posted on a thread about 14-16 months back.

Mr Spock,

Did you know about 90% of Dob owners don't know their scope is a Newtonian?

Maybe only 80%, but the number of posts in which it obvious that a dob is one type of scope whereas a newtonian is another are legion.

A-B, keep it up.

Astronomy is a bit like the BBC 60's sitcom, about Churchmen,

called "All Gas and Gaiters" (Another instance of wiped tapes). :D

Archdeacon: We need to bring the church into the 19th century!

Chaplain: Uhm, Surely you mean the 20th century, Archdeacon?

Bishop: One century at a time, my boy, one century at a time... :evil1:

Archived