Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Milton Keynes

Rufusgj

Hello everyone,

I am a total newbie when it comes to astronomy having always had an interest and never done anything about it! Finally received a telescope for Christmas - just a starter scope - Bresser Sirius 70mmx900mm (If anyone else has one of these Refractors - can you let me know what you think of it?)

Have to say that the advice for newbies is very good on this site - I was a little disappointed with the scope at first but since reading about eyepieces have found a whole new world opening up through my new super plossl lense - may have to buy a few more of these! Many thanks to 'the Warthog' for his great post on selecting the right eyepiece for your scope!

Anyway here's to clear skies!

Simon

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

Just mentioned to another new member the virtues of a decent eyepiece, can make all the difference to the viewing experience but can be one the hardest things to get right as we all have our own preferences (...and budget!). Glad to hear that you're up and running and feeling more optimistic about your scope. Equipment has to be seen as being very much part of a long journey, with each purchase helping us along to something else in the longer term.

Wish we could do something about the weather, as I would be happy to buy the odd occasional clear night, especially when there is no family do on! :icon_eek::D:D

James

Thanks James,

You are definitely right about the eyepiece, the ones that came with my scope were all marked either H or SR and it was very difficult to see anything with them, when I did find Jupiter it looked more like a cell through a microscope than the planet itself. After reading the advice on here I purchased a 25m Super Plossl from FLO, it arrived in a couple of days and the quality difference is amazing. Much wider FOV than anything I had but also much clearer view of the sky, Jupiter looks as it should as well! :icon_eek:

Simon

Archived