NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear skies forcast

zedds

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can I suggest, open your window, and look at the sky with some bino's, at least you can say the night was not a total Waste. May lift your Swine Flu addled spirits

Nice idea, but I'm flat on my back unable to move. Reading posts here on my IPhone is all I can do!

Well, that could have been worse...

Put the scope out before sundown. Nice and clear.

With a dark sky, there were actually stars!

After popping inside to grab a camera (and assorted accessories), there were a few clouds, but it looked like it would clear...

Five minutes later and, BANG, wall to wall orange.

Grrrr.

I think someone is having a bit of a laugh...

Still, at least something was visible for a few minutes

I managed a little bit of solar at lunchtime - nice spot and prom. This afternoon went downhill, but cleared about 6. I managed a short time with the moon and jupiter before it clouded over again and then started to rain! (swift re-roofing required!). I'm about to pop out to see if its cleared, or, more likely, pack everything away and lock up!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better....

Helen

Scope was out before it got fully dark, managed to find a star for PHD and was tracking ready for the off.....finger poised over the button to start the subs as soon as it was fully dark! Gonna make the most of tonight.

I got up to the "make the most of tonight part" then it started to rain unexpectedly, think I broke all records for take down time :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally managed to drag the scope out - even got two hours in on the Pleiades earlier (and tested the new autofocus/Robofocuser unit, which after a few probs is finally working a treat - I don't have to even move off the garden bench now!!!!) - BUT now it's complete cloud!

So, getting the 10min dark frames in the bag - keeping an eye out for rain - and fingers crossed the clouds will blow over...!

BBC weather forecast (clear earlier), is now saying cloudy.... ****** fantastic!

Best of luck everyone (and a Happy New Year!)

Damian

Saw the forecast for a clear South Wales night, so took the precaution of getting out at sunset and had a good hour with the Moon and Jupiter (couldn't see Uranus due to adjacent street light).

Even had a couple of interested neighbours over to see what the seeing was like! (The TV coverage really has sparked a lot interest in Joe Public).

As expected, clouds moved in...:)

I'm staying with my parents in a village in north Oxfordshire and the skies are absolutly breathtaking. I've just been for a walk and walked in to a bush as I was looking up instead of forwards!!

Naked eye andromeda!

I meant to bring my binoculars but forgot. Always the way.

Showed my 5 year old son Jupiter for the first time. He spotted 2 of the moons and the NEB. A very satisfying experience! Went on to find Uranus after putting the kids to bed, then onto M42 m45. Great night after a long wait for clear skies.

Clear down here so have been filling my boots this evening!

Forgot what a great sight the crescent moon is, and jupiter with its moons strung out like a lop sided parallelogram tonight, also taken in Andromeda, cassiopeia, and perseus, just waiting for the Pleiades to drop into view and if the cloud stays away wait up for Auriga.

Great night so far and the kids enjoyed the moon before bed time!

Archived