Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from an older newbie

despot67

Just like to say hi to everyone on the forum.

I have always been into astronomy and due to my love of the outdoors I often find myself wilderness camping in remote spots with wonderfull views of the milky way etc to keep me company at night.

I only own a rather pathetic small tasco refractor which I have had for years, one eye piece that allows decent lunar views and I can see Jupiter as a very very small disc.

What has sparked me off again is that a mate rang me and said" hey Aldi are selling telescopes real cheap". At first I was interested so I googled it and it was this forum that stood out with members comments and this turned me off it.

So I have been searching ebay and same there - google usualy throws up expert advice from this forum so hence I have joined.

I haven't got an "astronomical budget" but would love a better scope and look forward to getting one. I also do a lot of DSLR stuff with a decent canon so would love to marry the two hobbies togther someday.

So Merry Xmas to everyone and I look forward to being part of what appears a great community.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, and welcome to SGL.

It's good to see you are showing restraint over buying a scope.

Too many just buy without really knowing what they are spending good money on. I too had a 60mm Tasco many years ago. It wasn't bad, just not good enough :).

Should you need any help to make a decision, there is advice in abundance on this forum.

Happy Xmas.

Ron.:p

Hello there! im new to, just joined yesterday and also a total beginner.

Happy Holidays

Alex

p.s also Barkis i see you have a REME cap badge as your pic! I know this because im in the R.Signals!

Hello there! im new to, just joined yesterday and also a total beginner.

Happy Holidays

Alex

p.s also Barkis i see you have a REME cap badge as your pic! I know this because im in the R.Signals!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Yes I'm ex REME, long while ago now though :p, although the memories are still strong.

Sounds as though you are still in the Army. Great Corps the Signals.

Hope you enjoy being here. it's a great group of people.:)

Ron

Hi from me too - get to 50 posts and you can see the for sale forum here which is good news because the kit being sold is usually being sold by someone who has loved and cared for it.

Put a post up in beginners help for advice on the scope but do say what sort of budget you might have.

Hi from me too - get to 50 posts and you can see the for sale forum here which is good news because the kit being sold is usually being sold by someone who has loved and cared for it.

Where is it? Can't seem to find it.

Dave...

Archived