Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Becoming frustrated

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nemesis of astronomy is the Weather:evil:. I feel your pain Manok, its been a pretty dreadfull year for weather, at least here in the uk, as far as I can rememember. I am a relative beginner to astronomy, when I can't get out I have at least the option to learn more by using the plethora of material available on the net, literature or of course here on SGL.

Alan

It seems that ever since I got my scope it's been nothing but clouds for the month of December. How do you keep from being frustrated about never get getting to go out?

I troll around SGL, read about 50x more threads then the ones I post. When I'm done with that, I window shop on astronomy sites, I search ebay trying to get some decent deals on 2nd hand astro gear, get acquainted with the regular 2nd hand prices... After I get bored I find something else to do.

Similar to the guys above. I also spark up Stellarium on the big TV to have a look at what I should be seeing. Sort of virtual astronomy. Fortunately I also have my Astronomy and Astrophysics degree work to do which eases the pain a little.

Dave...

I understand your frustration. The advice about another hobby is not so daft. Astronomy is so weather dependant here in the UK that it's essential.

If I need an astronomy "fix" when the weather's bad, I have a look at this forum, look at various tutorials on image processing, go over my old image data and see if I can improve on my processing techniques, look at what goodies are for sale at the moment, work out my targets for imaging in the future - Jodrell Bank website is always worth a visit.

I look at the nights when I actually manage to get out as bonuses.

Regards

John

It seems that ever since I got my scope it's been nothing but clouds for the month of December. How do you keep from being frustrated about never get getting to go out?

December's been okay here though the missus has ruined that by buying some astro gear :/ That explains the snow blizzard I now see out my window!!

If you get into imaging, that can help take away the frustration of cloudy nights (though it may cause you lots of frustration on clear nights, trying to get everything right!!!!). I can now go a few weeks with clouds but still feel close to the night sky by messing around with the images, and it also gives you plenty more to learn.

The weather will always be the enemy for us, here in west yorkshire we have been sort of lucky with the clouds but its been so dam cold that its hard to find the motivation to go out and really freeze the plums of

Research - I find an astronomy theme that interests me and then bury myself in research on the Internet. I also re-visit my old images and re-process them to keep my hand in. When I tire of all that I watch 'Outnumbered' :p:hello2:

Outnumbered :):hello2:

One advantage of being into imaging seems to be that there's always some reprocessing and tweaking to do on cloudy days.

I remember a thread on here in late Oct/early nov complaining about the weather....the advice given was October is generally wet and cloudy....but wait for December, then there will be non-stop cold clear skies, still air and long evenings for months on end....if only

Ive only had 3 clear nights here for December, if its not snowing its foggy, and if it isnt foggy its cloudy :p

The novelty of snow is starting to wear thin though. Yes it got me the next 3 weeks off work, but what use is that if I cant get any scope time in?... bah! For a moment I was tempted to get on a plane to wherever Olly is, but we cant even do that because the airports are closed!...lol.

Oh well, back to BF2, C&C or Fallout New Vegas :)

It's a pretty bad Winter so far but not as bad as Autumn/Winter 2004. That was a mild autumn/winter which was more or less solid cloud from end of September 2004 to March 2005. Fortunately April/May made up for it. Just gotta hang in there because a good spell will come along eventually.

Weather. Par for the course I'm afraid.

I've been doing this malarky for over 40 years now and the weather never seems to get any better. I try and make the most of the limited time I do get out there (an observatory certainly helps enormously) and I also find enough other astro and non-astro stuff to keep me amused when the weather doesn't allow for any observing or imaging.

But when it all comes together, and you're out there under a clear dark sky, there's no hobby that betters it and that really makes up for the frustrations.

Dave

I have other hobbies and my wife seems never short of ideas on what I can fill my time with :)

I've always felt having a "grab and go" outfit (4" Vixen ED in my case) is so important in the UK observing conditions generally. If you have something with little or no setup / tear down time, that can get you outside, even for 20 mins or so, really helps. No surprise that my Vixen is my most used scope by a mile :p

This is the UK for you.. but hang in there. we blocks like this usually followed by blocks of super clear weather to pay you back. Its part of the hobby to be honest, as others have said use this time to research collimation and other kit related things that chew time away from the eyepiece on the good nights.

You could also start planning your obs sessions ready for those clear nights to obtain the max on the night.

Rob

Well round these parts its been unremitting cloud and rain so long I have sort of hibernated the telescopes. The only few nights its been cloudy I have given up my observing time to help other people with theirs and more latterly have had flu, chest infection, another dose of flu, stomach bug, yet more flu and now finally a really nasty eye infection.

I was considering getting a solar scope but when I look at the weather I havent see the sun in I dont know long.

My advice is get a 2nd hobby for when the scopes cant be used. Recently I was at a lecture where it was stated that only 25% of UK nights are usable for astronomy. I think tht overstates it if anyting and since I started this hobby I have seen a fair few people pack it in because of weather.

Hello Manok, I too feel your pain. Since buying my first ever scope in mid - November I have been able to use it just four times, mainly because of the dreadful weather, partly because of work. I spend some time reading, playing guitar and endlessly looking at telescope retailers online. I have chosen my next scope and changed my mind at least half-a-dozen times. No matter as I'll have to save up for it anyway.

I wish I could emigrate to the south of France as well...or California or Australia or...

I want to move to arizona, apparently the southern US. isnt very good for observing. Funny thing. There wold be months inbetween clouds before I got my scope, then theres been clouds, rain, fog, repeat. Or just brutal cold on a clear day.

Archived