Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barnard's Loop, a start.

ollypenrice

Hi all,

Keen to get started on one of the big autumn-winter projects starting with an Orion whole constellation. It may be longer than I thought...

Here is a 24x10min Ha stack from last night. Atik 4000 mono CCD, Geoptik adapter from Altair Astro and Samyang 85mm portrait lens, Canon fit. Baader 7Nm Ha filter. I thought 4 hours at f4 would nail it but no, still a lot of noise. In this 'presentation version' I have used Neat Image and Despeckle, which I hate doing, so I will shoot more. The moon was very close. A little data melted in from Last year's FSQ 85 image from HH to M42.

Unfortunately below f4 the lens (which I think is great) won't deliver clean edge stars but someone with a 314L etc could go faster.

Once the Ha is done I will shoot the lot again in the OSC Atik 4000.

See you in March!

Olly

1068692329_3QrCp-X2.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks amazing.

The diffraction spikes on the larger stars look particularly interesting. Do you have some form of 8-pronged spider at the front of your scope or are these internal reflections or something else?

No telescope this time, Mike. They are created by the camera lens diaphragm.

Olly

Thanks all. Martin, I will in the morning, yes. The Geoptik is just a gizmo that takes a camera lens on one side and a CCD on the other with (ish!!) a do-dah for getting the chip distance right. A 1.25 filter goes in the geoptik but you can get it close to the CCD so you don't vignette the image, at least on my 15mm square setup.

Olly

amazing! I assume this can be seen naked eye with a good sky and a Ha/Hb filter?

Alas no. You can see that something is going on around M42 naked eye but Barnard's Loop is really a photographic discovery, though I think some of the brightest patches had been recorded by eyepiece observers over the years. I'd like to read up on this.

Olly

I just love the fluff inside the loop. The very thin stuff to the left of the HH is going to take some teasing out. Can't wait.

Having watched your work I hope you will retain your subtle approach to colours. Some photos of this region are wild.

Dave.

I just love the fluff inside the loop. The very thin stuff to the left of the HH is going to take some teasing out. Can't wait.

Having watched your work I hope you will retain your subtle approach to colours. Some photos of this region are wild.

Dave.

That's my favourite bit as well. I'll do my best on the colour and agree that some images pf this area are indeed a little 'inventive' on colour... In a previous fragent of the Loop that I did next to M78 the Loop itself shouted a bit in the red so I will be poised over the brakes this time!!

Thanks to all for the encouragement.

I'vedescribed the setup (with pic) in the Equipment Discussion section. http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/118387-geoptik-camera-lens-setup.html

Olly

Archived