Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

25 day Crescent

slammel

I haven't tried imaging the whole of the visible moon at my usual sampling of 0.18 arcsec/pixel before, I had always thought it would be too difficult. But as I was recording the first AVI it suddenly occured to me - why not go for the whole thing ...maybe at this phase I can get the width from limb to terminator in two shots, that won't take long? Well that turned out to be a bit optimistic, but with just over an hour till dawn there was no time to hang around...if I managed it, great ...if not I would still have some half decent images. I had to cut down on the number of frames (stuck with only 8-10 fps) so I settled on 500-1000 depending on the seeing during capture.

The version below is reduced to a third. The full size image* is a bit of a monster (13MB, 5960x11372) so some might prefer the half size one.

25 Day Crescent 04-Sept-10 03:58-05:12UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com

25 Day Crescent 04-Sept-10 (x0.5) 03:58-05:12UT photo - stefan lammel photos at pbase.com

10in f4.8 Newtonian, Infinity 2-1M, 5x Powermate, Baader green filter, Avistack, PSE5, Focus Magic

Regards,

Stefan

* BTW - the Firefox grab and drag extension makes all the difference for large images like this, highly recommended: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1250/

originaloriginal.jpg

original

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much all!

resonator77 - Not quite sure what you mean by cutting the angles but when all the layers are adjusted to the correct black point in Photoshop it's just matter of trimming the edges of the individual images along the terminator of anything above the black point (because I use the maximum size option in Avistack which leaves some irregular white edges) then flattening and filling in the background. Focus Magic is used for some additional sharpening after wavelets, don't know why it should not be working for you - there are two options so make sure you use the 'fix out-of-focus blur' not the motion blur, try just adjusting the blur width first to something like 5 and you should see a difference in the before and after windows for any image I would have thought, if not try increasing blur width again or the amount.

beamish - Glad you like the grab extension!

Stefan

Only just caught this, always love mosaics especially this scale, Rumker shows up nicely above Aristarchus. Just not sure where to host my mosaics to show very large images, may have to take out a Flickr Pro account?

John.

Thanks very much all!

Paul - No problem at all, just flattered that one of my images got confused for one of Pete's. :)

John - Flickr Pro sounds good to me, though I only know about PBase. Fairly basic perhaps these days but there haven't been too many problems ($23 a year for 700MB). There seems to be quite a few alternatives these days. Looking forwards to seeing those large mosaics.

Regards,

Stefan

Er...

/puts entire astro-gear collection on E-bay.

Kiddin', but my god that is amazing... I don't know whether to feel inspired or crushed. OK, I'll plump for inspired.

Absolutely astounding clarity and detail.

Archived